1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grasshopper2000, Jan 19, 2019.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

How do you make upper Ks2 maths more exciting rather than just showing what to do on the board then giveing them a sheet with questions to do. I sometimes get the children to generate the numbers themselves by using a dice and I try to make the questions on the sheet interesting. Moving around the class is not really possible as I have a huge number of children and not much space at all. Any suggestions?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

'As well as importantly', I would say.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would have thought modelling how to go about approaching a type of question, explaining concepts and giving opportunities to practise the skills are the keys to successful maths teaching. For pupils seeing their own success and achievement is generally reward enough. Enthusiasm from the teacher and appropriate levels of work make the lesson engaging.

(I can't be doing with the generating their own questions thing because it is a right b***er to mark!)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm with caterpillar, "excitement" should come through achievement and progress, engagement and enthusiasm. Children need to practice skills until they are secure,they can then extend their knowledge into problem solving and apply their understanding to a range of linked topics. There is nothing worse than an artificially engaging lesson, we don't need tricks and games, just understanding, practice and automaticity.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Marking self generated questions needent been a pain. Give them a calculator and get them to self check as they go!

OP - do you use concrete resources when teaching/explaining new concepts? I find this helps engagement as well as understanding.

Some topics lend themselves to games and so on (****** have some good ones for warm ups and practise) but actually sometimes a textbook or worksheet is actually just what they need.