1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

exciting mark making activities please!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by koru, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Am on the hunt for some weird and wonderful ideas for mark making...usual story-trying to get the reluctant ones to 'write' but be having so much fun they don't realise they are actually writing!!

A few nice ideas I've heard: smear paint on a wipeable table mat-cover with clingfilm and get kids to finger paint. They don't get messy but can make interesting marks etc.

What interesting materials and media do you use to encourage creativity and mark making???

thank you!!

2. Hi, our children really enjoy mark making in dry sand with paint brushes and foam brushes and of course their fingers. We also use salt and shaving foam in the same way. We usually add sparkly gel numbers/mirrored letters and numbers to these as well. Other materils we use for very simple mark making, i.e. making patterns, using srcappers etc. are mashed potatoe (fairly watery), or corn flour.

Some activiites that have encourage mark making by children who dont usually mark make are, having to sign out bikes like thery are police cars, birthday cards and invitations for a birthday party for a favourite nusery toy and designing a dinosaur for harry out of Harry and his Bucketful of dinosaurs.

I hope at least some of that is helpful.

3. Nothing at all :) in fact we have many-different colours, types, sizes, the usual 'writing area' set up...just on the hunt for some exciting creative ideas that can be done on a shoe-string.

thank's for your great ideas :)

4. I completely agree, and of course we have our writing books and have regular small groups for writing-with good old pencils and paper, plus many, many other activities and routines that encourage writing for a purpose and also not just for those who 'choose' to do it.
    My intention is not to start a thread that disputes pencil and paper writing and whether or not children 'should or should not' be doing this, but merely to get a few more creative ideas.
    thank you to the people who have shared some ideas for resources and activities.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think you need to be clear whether you want exciting mark making activities or you want to encourage reluctant boys to engage in writing (emergent or more structured) because however exciting the mark making is it is not going to make boys want to write only to make marks, which is fine in itself as it develops lots of skills.

6. Hi some ideas I use in my room are;
    Taping down wall paper and giving a selection of mark making tools- they love this as they feel there writing on the table.
    Clip boards everywhere especially in the construction area as they make plans for their models.
    Coloured sand in shallow trays to use paint brushes/fingers etc.
    Magnifying glasses outside to hunt for words and write them.
    Home corner- shopping lists, copying out of catalogues, telephone numbers from the phone book etc.
    We put crates tyers and police fancy dress costumes outside and they loved writing the names of who they caught and writing a sign for their police station.
    and lots of other random bits and pieces that work with our daily routines in Rec.

7. Msz

I'm so pleased we aren't alone in having enthusiastic boys when it comes to reading and writing.

8. CI ideas -

whiteboard + whiteboard markers.

Little booklets made from 'scrap' paper (we use computer paper).

Rainbow pencils

ENVELOPES - oh how the boys LOVE envelopes and think they are so important using one and posting into the mailbox.

Chalk and chalkboards outside - keep a score of, say, skittles. How many did you knock over?

Old computer screen -they write on it with markers/oil pastels.

9. CI ideas -

whiteboard + whiteboard markers.

Little booklets made from 'scrap' paper (we use computer paper).

Rainbow pencils

ENVELOPES - oh how the boys LOVE envelopes and think they are so important using one and posting into the mailbox.

Chalk and chalkboards outside - keep a score of, say, skittles. How many did you knock over?

Old computer screen -they write on it with markers/oil pastels.

Also whenever they build a model: get them to write a label that says "PLease leave my model. Thank you"

10. Bossy? What do your TA's think?

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Msz is a hugely respected and experienced posterwho has made some great contributions to the EYs forum over the years.
    Just thought you might like to know.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Koru, I think I've made a terrible mistake and misinterpreted youe smiley. :) looks like miserable to me.

If I've judged you harshly on the strength of a misconception, I'm really sorry.

:)

13. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

hello i havent read all the replies so this may already have been given. Our children love nothing better than to practise their mark making outside with paintbrushes and water... its great for teaching the formation of the letters and of course you can do very large...
    I also find that any role play area outside also is a fav for mark makiing.. cafe and children as waitress etc.. give them clipboards and pencils and they will write away.. :) x

14. For mark making - coloured sand/Flour (I love using flour in nursery to mark make)/paint/mashed potato/rice etc.
    To explore textures and fine/gross motor skills - cornflour gloop! Insta snow. Gelli baff.
    :)

15. i think someone needs to get off their soap box ! You an oftsed inspector lol

16. Msz

the thread is over two years old