1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting ideas needed for an assembly on sound! Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laineylou, Mar 9, 2011.

1. hi,
    i have to take an assembly about 'sound' on monday morning. It is to introduce our science week so i need an exciting concept/gimmic to grab the children's enthusiasm, all ideas gratefully received!

Many thanks xx

2. roise

roise New commenter

What about a string telephone across the assembly hall?

3. I did one years ago with different environmental sounds on a CD that I asked children to guess what they were. The context was the role of dogs for the deaf but I'm sure the idea can be adapted.

4. When I was a student I once did an assembly on sound like this. I put a plate with clingfilm stretched over it on the visualiser. To this I put on some grains of rice. I asked the children if they thought I could make the rice move without touching it. They of course said no. I then asked the children to keep an eye on the screen and make as much noise as they could. This causes the rice grains to jump and move about. The children were fascinated and came up with some great ideas about why the rice moved. It worked really well and the HT and DH were very very pleased.

5. thankyou, this is great!