1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting Guided Reading?

Discussion in 'English' started by s0700452, May 5, 2010.

1. I am a trainee teacher and have been invited to interview.
    During the interview I have been asked to teach a 15 minute guided reading session. How can I make a guided reading session stand out?
    It is with a year 4 class and I have chosen the book 'The Iron Man' by Ted Hughes. I have decided to relate to AF5 and AF6.
    Usually when I teach guided reading, I show the children the book, and we discuss the cover etc. Then they read quietly to themselves as I listen to them in turn. Afterwards I ask them questions about what they have read.
    Can anyone think of a way I can make this a bit more exciting? I want to stand out the in the interview, which I think is very hard to do with guided reading.
    Thank you

2. Congrats on being invited for interview firstly!
    Guided reading - have you ever used a zone of relevance? You could have vocabulary linked to the text you are using possibly words to describe a character or setting. The zone of relevance is like an archery target with 3 zones - the children place the vocab in the centre zone if it is relevant, middle zone if it might have some relevance and outer zone if it is not relevant. It is great for generating discussion as the children have to find evidence in the text to support their choice of zone. [OFSTED liked this activity in our school in March]

Good luck!

3. Thank you so much for your help l.hinton! I haven't heard of a zone of relevance before, but I have just googled it and it looks fab!
    I shall be using that in my interview!

Thank you again.

4. Glad I could help!
    Hope it goes well for you

5. Hi l.hinton,
    I had the interview this afternoon, waiting to hear back from them. Just wanted to let you know that but your idea was great. The responses from the children were fantastic and it worked really well. One of the teachers said to me afterwards that he thought it was good.
    I will have to see what happens, because all of the other candidates were experienced teachers, but I guess practice makes perfect with interviews!
    Thank you again!

6. That sounds really positive - well done you
    Fingers crossed!

7. Predict the contents-Read the story-role play the story-have props-Make your questioning skills based on BLANK QUESTIONS heirachy-level them on the low-middle and high abilities levels.In the plenery ask the children if they could think of a better or different ending next time.Good luck.