1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exciting Exam Techniques?!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lucywig, Oct 7, 2015.

1. lucywig

lucywig New commenter

Hi All

I have been asked to lead staff training on possibly the most dull topic ever - Exam Technique!

I am pleading to the members of the community does anyone have any good tips, tricks exciting or engaging strategies they use to teach exam technique? It doesn't matter what subject you teach. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Luce

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

There is a book which you might wish to consult. It is called Making it Stick: the science of successful study. I think it may have an chapter on exam technique. You can also cover time management, eating well and general health which is all part of doing well on exams in addition to revising.

PrinceSobaah likes this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We teach exam technique frequently to the trainees. All embedded in etc., but one good little number is the crib sheet. You hand a student a piece of A4 and ask them to populate it with anything they would like to be handed to them at the start of the exam. Said students quite enjoy this as there is an element of cheating hinted at. To be able to populate the page, they need to understand fully what the exam is asking of them. At the end of the exercise, the page represents fairly basic knowledge retention - dates, quotations, statistics, formula, timings, loadings, terminology etc. We then teach them formal memory retention tactics using images, narratives, IWB, memory rooms etc so that the student can recreate their cheat crib sheet at the start of the exam.

What is fun to teachers is to be shown some clever memory retention things. I quite like the celebrities walking through the door holding a card with something written on. Johnny Depp always has a card with hyperbole on it. ;-);)

Mind you, all of this is useless if they cannot write. 100 times over, they need to be able to write properly without chummy or mummy holding their little hand.

4. lucywig

lucywig New commenter

Great thank you