1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Excited about being a STEM Ambassador

Discussion in 'Science' started by neddyfonk, Jan 15, 2016.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I stumbled upon the STEMNET website and discovered I could apply to become a STEM Ambassador. I have a background in colour technology (Humbrol), Computer programming/network infrastructure, electronics, photography ( developing/printing) and inventing things. In advance of my induction on Feb 1st I thought it might be a good idea to find out what other STEM ambassadors have done in schools ( at least once a year (min)). Maybe your school had an inspiring visit ? Maybe a STEM ambassador helps run a science club in your school? Maybe there are holes in the curriculum that need filling with a particular topic? At the present time I am tinkering with the Raspberry PI to control robotics and looking at the Arduino range ( can be controlled via Scratch ).
    Anyone got any ideas I can pinch / adapt/ adopt ?

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Bet if my name was Brian Cox I would have had a few replies by now. I will of course wear a lab coat, goggles, jazzy waistcoat and a dickybowtie ( black with stars on - all the way from China for 99p). :)

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Firstly you are not Brian Cox and what do you want people to say? Good luck on your future teacher training.

4. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

We have had STEM ambassadors in school to hold workshops mostly with year 8 and 9.Topics have included flight (very popular) and car design . We also have a forensics day every spring for year 7 and 8 and have usually managed to get someone along for that sometimes a talk on other occasions a practical activity. ( the bugs on dead bodies 2 years ago caused a stir!!)
    My son is a STEM ambassador , he is a postdoctoral microbiologist. He gives talks to groups year 10 upwards on what his subject is like at University and runs sessions on making UCAS applications. He also mentors students from disadvantaged backgrounds to support their applications to university.

ssaleh21 and neddyfonk like this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The things you talk about in your initial post look more engineering focused than school science focused. Possibly this is why your responses have been sparse.

6. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Over the last few years, I have attended career workshop days, a day about science heroes and done IoP lab in a lorry. Loved it all!

neddyfonk likes this.