1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exchanges

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by salsera, Apr 11, 2012.

1. salsera

salsera New commenter

Hi
    Has anyone got any recent experiece of exchange visits? I've read a few older threads but need some more up to date info.
    I'm having a bit of a problem with the an established exchange visit in the school where I work and the head teacher of the French school deciding that I am not doing things the way my predecessor did so has decided to go to the Twinning Circle to complain!
    He basically says the exchange is a "whole class" venture and not on an individual basis. We have only 15 students who want to go and they have 25 and are expecting us to find 10 other students to accommodate the French students or for them to pair up when they come to England.
    it's causing a lot of headaches and doing nothing for "entente cordiale" Thanks

2. Hi Salsera
    We have had an exchange in France for a few years now and it works very well mainly due to the fact that the lead tachers get on so well which is a major plus with the organising. We always come up against three potential issues
    1) There are usually more French than English - it is expected that their whole "classe européenne" will do it and we obvioulsy have to tout for business across two years and several classes. If it has a class feel there is far more likelihood that the pupils will partiicapte hence the larger French numbers. Next year they have told me that we will have to find 24 pupils.!!I don t think your French head can dictate which classes the English pupils come from - the key thing is that you get enough. If we are short we have asked people to host two ( I ask this on the initial form.) I've also asked families who are not in the exchange to host and give htem £50 or give them the option of opting for the French leg if they feel if goes well
    Could you extend the range of classes/years it is offered to if you are concerned about numbers.
    2) We can never get enough boys so I tell them from the outset that they will have to accept a mixed pairing if need be and ask them to indicate this on the initial form
    3) Despite the great rapport we have I know that the French will NOT do it in their holidays. I am in the position of having to do half and half - so I've just come back from 3 days off school and 4 days of my Easter holiday. This year and next year the French are still at school so it will work but there will come a time when the dates don't coincide and then we will have problems. I'm trying not to think about that.
    Is there somone on the twiinning association you can get on board on your side ??

3. salsera

salsera New commenter

Thanks redpens. The twinning circke have been really supportive- it's just the fact that he decided to go over my head and contact them to try to organise things!
    It's slowly sorting itself out - thanks for your advice though - helps for planning next year.