1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Excessive Absenteeism

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Mar 26, 2012.

1. I notice some staff are more absent than others at my school. I've been particularly unlucky this academic year with illness and have been off on 3 separate incidents since Sept but this is unusually high for me. I have been worried about it until I see the cover board and THAT person or people are off ill again. Then I think actually, I do ok.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The risk of any bug being caught by adults who are constantly with children in varying degrees of infection, must be very high.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When I worked for Social services there was always someone off sick. It was almost as though a rota was being followed.
    Some saw the annual sick leave allowance (after which you came under more scrutiny) as extra holiday leave and made sure they used up all or nearly all of it!
    If you were on holiday leave and fell ill, you could contact work whilst on holiday or when you got back and have some or all of the holiday leave re-instated and the days away from work added to your annual sick leave record instead.