1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exceptionally high level of poor behaving and special needs children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peterjsmith, Jun 28, 2011.

1. My daughter attends a small primary school, 140 children.
    Her year group has an exceptionally high level of poor behaving and special needs children which has been acknowledged by the teaching staff.
    Over the last 9 months the school has thrown all the resources and time it can to support these children, howevver the issues remain. The problem is not the type of problem its simply the size of it and it is not going to go away. These children will need support for the rest of their time at the school.
    In instances like this, where through not fault of anyones, the school is simply not able to cope what happens?
    Are more resources thrown at the problem?
    Is it possible to reduce the size of the problem and switch children to other schools who do have the resources to support them?
    Any help much appreciated

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Presumably this is a problem with three boys that you posted about a while ago?
    Have you had a chance to look at the school's Behaviour Policy yet?

3. It depends on the school. The school is unlikely to get additional resources from outside to cope with these children. They may throw more resources of their own at the problem if they have resources to throw.
    There are only two ways by which these children can leave the school 1) their parents can choose to withdraw them 2) the head can exclude them if their behaviour is bad enough to justify it - they can't be excluded on the grounds of their special needs and their bad behaviour would have to be exceptionally bad to justify excluding them. So I would say the school is probably stuck with these children.
    Your best option for getting your daughter away from these children is to move her to another school.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Move schools. It's not going to get any better, and she'll be stuck with them all the way through, and you'll kick yourself if you don't move her now.

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

See my thread on why primary teachers don't teach PE.

Problem is this you can have:
    bad parents + good school
    good parents + bad school
    good parents + good school
    bad parents + bad school

Obviously the last one is the most extreme. Although most classes have good parents, one or two can rule the roost and as a result their children rule the roost in the class.

Agree with above. Move schools. Go private if an option.

6. I sadly agree. It seems that we have to put with very bad behaviour and little can be done in the long term. Some schools do have strict rules and will exclude/suspend badly behaved children. Others have the motto "Welcome unto us little one, all are welcome" and subsquently do not think of the majority of well behaved children. If worse, in such schools both teachers and good kids just seem to put with it. Only when you see/hear of other schools do we realise how bad it can be in some places.

7. I don't think any school as to put up with very bad behaviour. If a given policy or approach hasn't resulted in correcting the behaviour, then the policy needs evaluating too.

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Why don't you gang up with the other parents on the parents of those badly behaved children.