1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

exceeding maths

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by CurlyWhirly, Jun 27, 2015.

1. CurlyWhirly

CurlyWhirly New commenter

Hi TES community,

I really hope someone can help me with this. It's my first year teaching Reception. I have assessed all of my children using the guidance including the info from Gloucestershire to secure exceeding statements. Everything it says in the exceeding my children can do. But then I read on here that you have to be G and T to be exceeding, others say they have to be working above level 1 on the old curriculum to be exceeding and then others say you should only have 1 or 2 who are exceeding. Someone wrote that they have to be reading and ordering 3 digit numbers where does it say that on the exceeding guidance that talks about estimating and counting numbers up to 20 that's not a 3-digit number!

I've sent my data down line now but can't help feeling I've made a mistake.

:(

What on Earth is exceeding? Why is it so unclear?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It is, unfortunately, unclear... but the best you can do is to follow the official guidance.

It's silly to say you can only have one or two exceeding (what if you have a very bright year group?), but to assess your whole class as exceeding also seems wrong. Can they do all the things independently and within child initiated play? I have a child in my class, for example, who can take away if we're doing a focus activity on taking away, but outside the context of the activity he isn't sure how to do it. I won't be assessing him as expected for this reason.

3. CurlyWhirly

CurlyWhirly New commenter

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear with my message, no I haven't assessed the whole class as exceeding. but I do have a large group. Basically I have more than 1 or 2!

4. svxenos

svxenos New commenter

I'm in the same situation - first year of teaching, used the Gloucestershire info, I had six or so exceeding, but it feels so vague. It's a minefield!

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

There is no reference to 3 digit numbers in the exceeding descriptor. However the key thing for me is the 'solving problems that involve combining groups of 2 5 and 10' this would have to be demonstrated in a variety of contexts and consistently and independently. In reality I would be surprised to find more than a few in a class doing this. It's possible of course, but I would want to be absolutely confident in the children's ability in this aspect before giving exceeding.