1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exceeding in all areas EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Parent7952, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Parent7952

Parent7952 New commenter

Hi there,

I’m so sorry to crash this forum as a parent - thank you to all the teachers for your hard work.

My son got exceeding for every area of the EYFS last year - I assumed that this was not overly common.

My daughter has just finished the EYFS and has also been given exceeding for all areas.

I have not discussed this with anyone other than my husband so I have no reference points. I do know it is totally unecessary to compare with others and that my children are only 5&6.

However, I am curious to know if exceeding all elements is actually very common?

This is a normal state school and other than reading the school books each week the children do no formal learning outside of school.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If children have educated parents, spend a lot of time talking with adults, have English as a first language, attend a good or better school, are exposed to stories and music and have no SEND, then exceeding in all areas is reasonably common.

nizebaby likes this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Not that common in my experience but it does vary from LA to LA. I see all our LA data and I'd say number of children getting exceeding across the board is less than 5%. Some areas of learning are much more difficult to get exceeding, and even nationally, numbers are fairly low.
    It could be that your children are both amongst the most able or it could be over generous assessment, how has your son got on in year one?

4. Parent7952

Parent7952 New commenter

He got working above and excellent effort across the board - he is September born though. He doesn’t seem massively special when I’ve seen his work but then I don’t know what is typical for year 1.

I wonder whether the assessments are generous. Would it be detrimental to the school to inflate assessments and then struggle to maintain progress?

5. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

I wouldn’t expect the school to inflate progress, it doesn’t benefit them. As caterpillarbutterfly says, it’s not that unusual depending on the circumstances add in Sept born then he’s could have spent 20% longer on this planet than some of his peers at a time he’s learning at a really rapid rate. Just keep talking, reading, playing and wondering at home. He’s ready to learn you just have to maintain his enthusiasm.

6. Parent7952

Parent7952 New commenter

My Sept born son was a bit of a surprise, but I understood it was likely down to the advantages you listed and thought nothing more of it.

My daughter was the real surprise that led me to question whether it is actually very common.

She should have been May born but was 2 months premature (3lb at birth and still tiny). She’s hearing impaired and has joint hypermobility. She was 3 when she was finally discharged from the consultant for delayed development.

You can imagine my surprise that she has accelerated to above expectations! She is reading orange level, but I’m only discovering now that this is above average. She’s done so well if she’s truly in the top 5% - what a little legend.

Thank you all for your input. Have a lovely summer!