1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exceeding Expectation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by McCahey, Dec 7, 2015.

1. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Could anybody out there, who is not in the midst of the Christmas chaos, kindly point me in the direction of a set of 'Exceeding Expectation' statements for KS1 & 2?

Thanks, in anticipation!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

3. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Thanks these were useful sites- especially the last one but not for the purpose I'd originally intended!
    I am actually looking for Maths and English 'Exceeding Expectation' statements for EACH year group. I have seen examples of these for some year groups but cannot find a definitive set. I have looked on various gov websites but don't even know where they have sourced from. Are these the workings of an over active educational consultatant or specific recommendations?
    PS Have you seen anything similar for science???

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There aren't any national expectations except for the end of KS1 and 2

5. wayneski100

wayneski100 New commenter

In my school we are using statements produced by Focus Education. These list exceeding statements for reading, writing, maths, science and speaking/listening

6. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Do you not just go on to the next year group if the children have mastered in depth all the objectives on their year group grid? Or are you asking for objectives related to mastery in depth? We just work on deepening knowledge through the task or resource.

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Sorry I am not the right person to reply, but if you Google "exceptional primary school national curriculum expectations" it is clear from even just such a quick search that there are many primary schools across England which state that it is only "exceptional" children who work towards expectations from the year above. So I think that the answer to your question could well be "no" as there are not many "exceptional" children in England - depending on what is meant by exceptional.

8. summlard

summlard New commenter

It depends on your school. We go into the year above with the higher children. Not just exceptional. Especially in number in maths and writing.

9. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I agree with this. I think we are far too eager (or pressured) to class children as 'exceptional' or 'exceeding' when, if we're honest with ourselves, they're just perhaps within a broad range of average. In ten years of teaching I don't think I've taught one child who I would hand on heart say was absolutely exceptional and didn't have weaknesses they needed to consolidate before moving on. I think this would be quite rare.

Of course there are the bright buttons that generally rattle on a bit faster than the others in certain things but a decent teacher would naturally know when to push them a step further and when to hold them back a bit longer. I can remember one particular pupil being first to finish everything and had a very good memory for facts and procedures, so was constantly referred to as 'exceptional' but when presented with a problem to investigate on a deeper level often had no idea where to start and tended to flounder.

I think we, as professionals, should be trusted to use our judgement on this.