1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exams brought forward

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnymitchell

johnnymitchell Established commenter

Of course Jewish pupils have time off for religious holidays. I have taught such children and they present me with a letter from the parents at the beginning of the school year listing the days the child can't attend. These days are recorded as absences. The family don't expect school life to be altered for them in any way.

But there is a world of difference between that and asking for exams to be moved for all pupils.

I trust you will be able to supply the names of the schools where birthdays and Christmas weren't celebrated to the TES moderators. I find it impossible to believe this happened unless most pupils belonged to the same church. Having taught Jehovah's Witness children, they don't celebrate their own birthdays or Christmas but again they wouldn't expect the life of the school to be changed to suit them.

2. johnnymitchell

If Jews were living in Gaza already they couldn't have "seized" it.

To say the least respect for Christians and Jews in these countries hasn't gone well.

Of course there are Christians bishops in Jerusalem. Its the birthplace of Christ! You might want to brush up on your knowledge of RE.

Christians are being attacked in large numbers in Gaza and driven out of their homes.

http://rescuechristians.org/christi...sing-persecution-since-hamas-wrested-control/

3. johnnymitchell

Of course Muslims should be treated equally. All pupils should be treated the same no matter what religion they follow or if they follow none.

But there is a difference between equality and having school life arranged to suit them. I don't believe any group should be able to do this. If we were having this discussion in a secular country such as France, any move to arrange school life on the basis of religion would be illegal.

4. johnnymitchell

To save anybody the trouble of correcting my error obviously its Bethlehem which is the birthplace of Christ.

Jerusalem is where Christ was crucified and laid to rest. But still the presence of Christian bishops shouldn't be a mystery.

5. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

What about respect for people, like Hindus, who have totally different beliefs, or all those rational, logical people who don't believe any of these fairy stories. Mind you, fairy stories usually have a happy ending. They don't involve people slaughtering one another because they disagree on whether the tooth fairy wears a green dress or a pink dress.

6. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

So how do you reconcile this with us having every Christmas and Easter off?

7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

We are not a secular country.

France being secular doesn't seem to have helped the integration of minorities.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Ramadan isn't a religious holiday, is it?

BTW given that schools need to be closed at some points during the year (teachers, parents & pupils wouldn't enjoy 52 weeks of teaching each year!), why change the historical pattern?

johnnymitchell likes this.
  9. johnnymitchell

That was my point.

Fundamentalists and extremists refuse to integrate. Everything has to be done their way.

The end result is what we've seen on the news.

10. johnnymitchell

The majority of people in the UK don't celebrate these as religious holidays.

They are just holidays full stop.

David Getling likes this.
  11. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

'Holidays' as in 'holy days'?

I haven't seen a report yet, that claimed these changes were pandering to Muslim demands.
    Rather, the reports that I have seen have been about demands from schools, desperate for any way of improving their exam results.

Yoda- likes this.
  12. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Of course, I might be wrong. But, one suspects that the schools in question are probably in places like Birmingham and Bradford;).

I can think of at least one local school around here, whose students are still on C3, and that has lost a chemistry teacher, which would love exams to be a few weeks later.

13. johnnymitchell

As this is a site for teachers I'd hope it was obvious that Christmas and Easter were once celebrated as religious holidays by the entire population. I'd also expect posters to know that Christian denominations set up many schools and encouraged Christian observance.

This article states the dates were brought forward after consultation with religious groups.

http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/...ise_switch_of_exam_dates_for_Ramadan/?ref=rss

Yoda- likes this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'll repeat my earlier post:

15. johnnymitchell

But the article I quoted states the dates were brought forward by 2 weeks for GCSEs.

16. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

If that were the case then logic would say that a 39 week school year was split into 3 x 13 week terms each split into half terms of 6 and 7 weeks. We don't, we have overly long terms and stupidly short terms all to accommodate periods of christian observance.

lizziescat likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Given that 5 public holidays are around Christmas/New Year/Easter it makes sense to ensure that they are within school holidays, similarly the end of May BH is in half- term.

18. johnnymitchell

You appear to have ignored the fact that the majority of UK citizens don't engage in Christian observance. The current Easter and Christmas holidays have their origins in religion but most people don't use them to go to church.

19. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Firstly, 'in consultation with religious groups' does not mean the same as 'pandering to Muslim demands'. it is not beyond the bounds of reason that schools make a request and then the exam boards consult..for example on when Ramadan actually falls. I think your reply is a red herring.

Secondly, your link actually says:
    Your selective reporting seems to imply a greater importance of the opinions of religious groups than exists in the actual article.

20. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Regardless of any dispute about the historical origins of holidays..or the timing of them, I have yet to see a report that substantiates your claim; that the Muslim community asked for/ demanded / instigated any changes to the exam calendar for their own benefit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.