1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exams and Protected Characteristics

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 21, 2020.

?

Should GCSE/A-Level grades take protected characteristics into account?

1. Yes they should

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. No they shouldn't

18 vote(s)
    94.7%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So saw this story...

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/28/fire...e-test-deliberately-harder-white-men-8402291/

upload_2020-1-21_19-21-15.png

Got me thinking... should GCSE and A-Level mark schemes have different scores for different characteristics? Should there be a 'White' score and then a 'POC' score? A 'male' score and a 'female' score [and a trans score obv.]?

I can see a niche for it .... I can think of a few colleagues who'll be keen.

To be clear... I'm a no. In fact I find the whole concept to be soft bigotry of low expectations... "hey POC, you ain't so good with da words and da numbers but dats OK" ... and it'd also create a two tier system where "White" would equate to higher qualified... "Oh no, I'd rather be saved by a 'white' fireman, he's better with those words/numbers".

Just wondering how it's 2020 and this toxic carp is able to worm it's way in.

needabreak likes this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It's a no from me.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Other news-
    Having read the article closely, I absolutely cannot move past the ribaldry of this image
    "there are people sitting on fire engines today purely because of their gender or ethnicity"

alex_teccy, border_walker and cissy3 like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Maybe they should have a lower mark for idle and disruptive children, it's so unfair that the exams are biased towards spods and boring people.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I'm wondering - what if all white apicants self-identified as BME? And men as women? How would their application system cope?

Just a thought!

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

In fairness:

......the article, and many other reports of same, are from 2019 (nitpicking, I know)

The WM Fire Brigade didn't outright deny the story, but issued this statement :

''West Midlands Fire & Rescue Service has hit back at reports in the mainstream media that their recruitment process is ‘discriminatory’ against white male applicants.

The statement comes after an article published on the Daily Mail’s website accused the Service of making entry tests ‘harder’ for ‘white men’ to pass than ‘women and ethnic minorities’ applicants.''

https://emergency-services.news/?p=7499

ETA As for the poll, I have abstained!

sbkrobson likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

...In addition the source of the article is really pretty dubious. It's just trigger fodder so that we don't need to dwell on climate change.
    Or Br.....shhhhh.

caress and cissy3 like this.
  9. LondonCanary

Climate change? Why don't we have any threads that mention it?

needabreak likes this.
  10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Well, you do wonder how much of a 'story' this is........(as I do with much of the stuff that passes for 'news' these days)

.....it seems that minority ethnic groups are under-represented in the brigade.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...ity/fire-and-rescue-services-workforce/latest
    '''....in 2018, 95.9% of firefighters in England for whom ethnicity was known were White, and 4.1% were from the Asian, Black, Mixed and Other (including Chinese) ethnic groups combined''

And....

''....in the 2011 Census, 85.1% of the working age population in England (people aged 16 to 64 years) was White, 8.4% was Asian, 3.6% was Black, 1.8% had Mixed ethnicity, and 1.1% was from the Other ethnic group''

It makes you wonder.....

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Forgive me, but I imagine the candidates opening the question paper to be confronted with:

Q1. What is the ignition point of yo momma's finest fried chicken to the nearest 50 degrees C?

Q2. How often in a typical week do you think you've left your hair straighteners on when you're out of the house? Are you scatty or what?

Q3. How often should a curry pan be cleaned to avoid the risk of fire?

Q4. (White males only) Explain Einstein's Unified Field Theory in relation to the probability of chip pan fires.

Then again the story has a distinct Daily Mail feel to it, so it's all probably total rubbish.

needabreak likes this.
  12. needabreak

You do like the hair flicking don't you LC, I had to zoom in and brighten my screen to see what was going on. :D

13. needabreak

I often wonder about extra time or solitary rooms without apparent distractions or even on occasion pc use in exams, when they they can function perfectly well without it, is it giving less able students unrealistic expectations of the real world/work where little if any such support is provided for those who 'process' slower than the average person.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

As long as it results in Child A reaching whatever cell content is "right", you need not worry your pretty head.
    Can it be right for anyone to despise their job?

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No, not nitpicking.

Appreciate the heads up... story popped up on my facebook and I didn't clock the date.

16. needabreak

Was that to me or does everyone here have a pretty head whatever that means... and who despises their job?

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Who's proposing that then?

cissy3 likes this.
  18. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

So those with protected characteristics are now getting stick for something that doesn’t actually happen? Confused.

Also re: needing more time in real life - in the workplace this can be a reasonable adjustment and is regularly suggested as part of a workplace needs assessment especially for people with SpLds.

Of course, there are certain situations where this is not possible and so might not be a suitable job if the need for extra time means the job can not be carried out properly, although for most jobs extra time for certain elements of a job role is possible as a reasonable adjustment,

catbefriender and Scintillant like this.
  19. LondonCanary

Like most train drivers and airline pilots.

needabreak likes this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Did humanswithprotectedcharacteristics actually ask for this? It sounds patronising in the extreme. Black, eh? Gay? Must be a bit thick. Have some extra time.

Maybe WM Fire Service could find out why the job seems unattractive to HWPC and fix that instead.