1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

examples of musical form

Discussion in 'Music' started by bee12399, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi all,I'm setting up playlists for all of my topics for pupils to access out of the classroom but I'm drawing a blank with tracks to add!!
    I would like a list for; Binary, ternary, sonata, variation etc all the usuals but I would like to keep it as varied as possible in terms of style, instrumental, classrical, vocal, contemporary, popular etc. Anyone have any suggestions for tracks I can add?
    Thanks in advance!

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You are going to find that very difficult, because most of the forms you mention are pretty much exclusive to instrumental music between the years 1650 and 1900 (with a few late examples spilling into the 20th century).
    There are examples of 20th-century variations, of course, and the head arrangements typical in much jazz could be regarded as a type of variation form. But you will be hard-pressed to find pop songs in sonata form or binary form.

3. thanks

they dont neccessarily need to be varied, i just would like it if they were! any examples of pieces in ANY of these forms would be helpful! Basic to more complicated!

Also im sick myself of always using the same examples of classical music as this is not my area of expertise to know more, I generally only use the examples which used to be in th GCSE specs/listening tests for this area (schumann + two other pieces ive forgotten the title and composer-sunday feeling).