1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

examples of levelled writing - primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Trooperkk, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Hi, have to deliver a staff meeting next week on levelling children's writing and wanted to have examples of children's work that has already been levelled so I can make sure we all know how to level their work successfully! Does anyone have such a thing or know of a website i can use to find this type of thing?
    Thanks!!

2. Hi, have to deliver a staff meeting next week on levelling children's writing and wanted to have examples of children's work that has already been levelled so I can make sure we all know how to level their work successfully! Does anyone have such a thing or know of a website i can use to find this type of thing?
    Thanks!!

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

You might find the "National Curriculum in Action" website useful for examples of children's writing.

http://www.ncaction.org.uk/subjects/english/index.htm

However, if you look at its page:

"ABOUT THE ENGLISH ATTAINMENT TARGETS AND LEVEL DESCRIPTIONS"

there's a very important warning:

"Please note, level descriptions are not designed to be used to 'level' individual pieces of work."

A writer can't be said to be a level anything just on the basis of an hour or so's work.

4. We level 1 piece of work a half term. Summer 1 being an Optional SAT. It is kept in a special book used only for these occassions - they are a nightmare to mark, level and moderate but it gives a good snap shot of the pupils at that time. And book goes with them throughout school.

We use a tick list / level statement to help us level the work. And have child friendly version for pupils to look at level they are aiming for.

5. If you look on the APP section on the National strategies site you will find writing standards files. These have pieces of work levelled from Low Level 1 right up to High Level 5. there are different genres available for each sublevel as well.

6. karentee

karentee New commenter

The standards files are really the place to look, aswell as giving levels for written work it also gives the same levels but for different year groups eg you could find an example of a level 3 piece of work for a year 3 , 4 or 5 child.