1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Examples of DoubleThink

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SEBREGIS, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

So I'm re-reading 1984 (yes, it's that point in the term...) and I've been reminded of the wonders of DoubleThink:

"The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them… To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed."

I've suddenly realised how much this applies to what happens in schools. For example -

We know that using highlighters on student's work achieves nothing - yet schools will pursue teachers who fail to use highlighters to the point of destroying their careers.

Many of our systems for measuring student achievement are deeply flawed (for example, KPIs, flightpaths etc etc.) and yet not only do we continue to use them, we base our decisions about the students future on data we know to be incorrect, or even faked. The lie becomes the truth.

Can anyone else think of some examples? It would be doubleplusgood to have a few more. I don't like being a minority of one, even though I know that does not make me insane.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The 'Inclusion Room' - to get rid of the naughty boys and keep them out of everyone else's hair.

Offering teachers 'Support' - threatening them with dismissal.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I've been thinking about contradictory beliefs the last few days in the context of the French protests.

Just as immigrants are simultaneously here for the benefits and here to steal our jobs, so the French are scorned as 'surrender monkeys' (I think is the term) while being slated for being too bolshie with their strikes and protests.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Who is actually calling the French surrender monkeys?
    "Cheese-eating surrender monkeys", sometimes shortened to "surrender monkeys", is a pejorative term for French people. It was coined in 1995 by Ken Keeler, a writer for the television series The Simpsons, and has entered two Oxford quotation dictionaries.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Wasn't it 'Stormin Norman Swartskopf who said "Going to war without the French was like going duck hunting without an accordion?

And then there was this (for the record, I have a friend who was a sergeant in the Foreign Legion and I've never made these comments to him. Just saying...

8french_military.jpeg

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Fair enough. I've heard the phrase but never heard anyone actually use it.

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'm not sure I've ever heard the term used in real life but the idea seems to be a commonly held one.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Mind you, the French government has either surrendered to the protesters or decided that, after further consideration, fuel tax increases were a bad idea. It depends on your point of view, I suppose.

9. borges33

borges33 New commenter

Here in Scotland, we have had the joys of Growth Mindset, Brain Gym, Co-operative Learning and Tree of Knowledge. Made up rubbish with no empirical evidence that it works (or can be quite dangerous!). Yet, we are expected to plough on with the nonsense because our LA has spent a ton of cash on it.

Oh, and water consumption. We do not need to consume litres of the stuff everyday. Sneaky water bottlers.

Alice K likes this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Having an anti-bullying policy for pupils whilst treating one's teaching staff like ****?

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Teaching kids that "soft skills" are important to get on in the workplace, while not caring about anything other than exam grades in reality with many in management despising those teachers who actually have the soft skills they themselves are woefully lacking in.

"We do it for the kids, certainly not the money! hahaha" always said by those who spend their lives avoiding kids and chasing the money. Besides, who in their right mind would choose to teach for free if they had an option not to?

InkyP and magic surf bus like this.
  12. magic surf bus

Encouraging pupils to become creative thinkers and independent learners through enquiry-based learning activities, whilst micro-managing staff to the nth degree as they try to 'deliver' the centrally-prescribed content of standard government issue curriculum folders.

Alice K, Mangleworzle and InkyP like this.
  13. magic surf bus

Running schools on a 'business' model whilst having no choice about the quality of the raw materials or the market price the 'business' charges for the service they provide, which are fundamental to running a real business properly.

Unless you're a private school, obviously.

Mangleworzle and InkyP like this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Which are of course - charities.

Alice K and chelsea2 like this.