1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

example questions for an assistant head interview?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sleepingbeauty, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Hi
    I have an interview this week for an assistant head post leading FS & KS1. I ws wondering if anyone could give me some example interview q's so that I can practice!!

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Hi
    I have an interview this week for an assistant head post leading FS & KS1. I ws wondering if anyone could give me some example interview q's so that I can practice!!

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

3. Make sure you know about the new EYFS.
    Transition issues FS - Y1 and Y2 - Y3
    KS1 national curriculum
    Assessment
    Safeguarding & child protection
    Staff management/challenge/support

4. Thank you busybee.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And do a search on the SMT Forum, there are lists on there under Deputy Head and Assistant Head I seem to remember.

Best of luck!

6. It seems obvious but there are a couple of key skills / roles that people frequently forget when pitching for middle management / leadership...
    You will be managing a very diverse bunch of adults professionals / semi-professionals etc...
    How do you do that successfully and in a supportive but challenging, yet not bullying and authoritarian manner? Lots of people don't reflect on this...How do you get the 'team' to actually be a team and perform beyond just their individual selves? What does the 'team' at X school really need? Schools have very different teams of staff and needs...Why do you suit that school? I was appointed Head at my school because of a definite fit of needs / skills / experiences / ambitions etc...Yet quite obviously at another dozen schools I probably would not have been picked for the same reasons.It took me a long time to learn this.

You will have to identify, prioritise, manage and lead change...How do you do this and ensure that is successful, doesn't drift, become the straw that broke the camel's back or cause conflict?
    All of this will need a lot of initiative, enthusiasm, organisation. good knowledge of T&L etc but also great inter-personal skills and experience....Could you give examples that illustrate you have these?

7. Thank you to you all. I got the job, so your advice was obviously very good!! [​IMG]

8. Congratulations. Hope you enjoy the new challenge!