1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Example of Literacy planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alysshathurston, Jan 11, 2016.

1. alysshathurston

alysshathurston New commenter

Hi
    I'm sure there is not a one size fits all but does what does everyone's weekly literacy planning look like. I come from a country where we usually teach units based around the genre and link GAPs to that.
    I plan in a team here and really feel like I'm letting my partner down when planning as I have been told we need to link to our topic (WW2) but shouldn't focus too much on teaching the structure as by year five they should already know the structure, but I struggle to plan 5 one hour lessons and get a quality piece of writing out at the end. Any ideas, advice or resources more than welcome.
    Thanks in advance

Landofla likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sure different people plan in different ways, but for my unit linking with WWII I planned @ 2 days reading the class text (Carrie's War, Candle in the Dark, The Silver Sword etc. and teach particular grammar points arising out of any chapters read that week. That then left me 2 days to do writing. Letter / Diary writing, Time Slip story, Description of a war scene, Description of a journey,Wartime recipe are examples of what I planned last year.

3. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

I think you have to spend longer especially because Year 5 did not start the new curriculum in year 1.

4. Lara mfl 05

@teacup71, I don't necessarily think you have to spend longer on anything, because they are older and will potentially learn some skills quicker, especially if you build in progressive learning.

What they need to learn hasn't changed drastically, except some skills normally learnt later, have been transferred down to earlier years in Maths. To compensate some skills are now not needed until Secondary, so it evens out.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What did your class not really get in their last piece of writing?
    Spend a couple of days covering that.
    Couple more days reading comp relating to what you just taught and the genre you want them to write next.
    Last day of the week doing the next piece of writing.
    Cycle starts over again.

More or less.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I really feel for ya. I have the same difficulty planning Literacy. For the Big Write, I have been experimenting with a few things and at the moment giving them a differentiated WILF which incorporates the grammar points covered recently, seems to be working well. Maybe everyone does this as standard.

7. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Okay, but I was referring to the fact that you did 4 days on something I would spend 2 weeks on. But if it works for you...
    Although I still think to master the curriculum now we have to spend longer practising. This may mean more opportunities to write. We write three times for each English unit. A piece within the unit, an independent piece after the unit and a cross curricular piece.
    For our kids this means they are more secure.
    As I wrote, if it works for you...

8. Lara mfl 05

Actually that was my example of a 'weekly plan' building up to@2-3 independent pieces of writing each half-term.