1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Example of child's writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dootle, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hello Team TES!

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get hold of a piece of child's writing which has BEEN levelled?

I need some samples. eg. a piece that is a 'solid 1a' or 'solid 4c' etc...

I've been told that there are samples available from the SATs/N.C/APP websites but I can't seem to locate any?

Thanks in advance for any responses :eek:)

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

NC in action website has some.

3. Thank-you! :eek:)

I've Found the samples but they don't seem to be levelled?

4. Forget that. Just stumbled across them:eek:)

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

5. Could you link for us? Id be interested in seeing them and cant find them :)

6. I thought I'd found them but every time I try top 'open' the writing samples I get a 'page not found' page.

http://teachfind.com/national-strategies/app-tahmid-writing-assessment-guidelines-levels-1-and-2?current_search=sample%20of%20writing%20at%20level%201
    This is where I am currently having a dig around. The side bar on the left has all the different levels in but I can't seem to get any of the pieces to actually open.

I need an 'official piece' from 'an official website' that has been 'officially levelled' :eek:)

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

You're hunting for something that does not exist. It's impossible to officially "level" (if you mean NC levels) one piece of work.
    The NC Levels are written to be applied to children's work done over two or three years, not over two or three hours.

8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"NC in Action" and "APP" might appear to condone or even encourage the notion of a level per piece but both of them preface everything by saying that level evidence must be based on large bodies of work.

9. This may be true, but we still have to do SATs therefore levelled examples of work will still have a use and purpose in guiding us whilst this kind of assessment is still expected.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

11. Msz you are my hero! Thank-you HUGELY for those links!

12. Our school 'levels' (using APP) single pieces of writing every half term. We then add these to a Literacy portfolio which includs other evidence to build up a 'larger picture'. The level given to single writing samples is not a 'be all and end all' approach. Just one of several methods used to give an overall view.

13. Yes, we have to level individual pieces of work as well. Surely by levelling individual pieces of work then you build up to the overall level? If you don't level individual pieces, how do you do it? I'm still confused by levelling writing, even after 15 years in the job!!!