1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Examinations are damaging to our health.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by anon8836, Aug 14, 2019.

1. anon8836

anon8836 New commenter

2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

It's nonsense. An exam is one of the safest and most contained things one can attempt, unlike, say, marriage or starting a business. Failure and inadequacy kill, not exams.

nomad likes this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

How do we get a focus on education and skilled trained professionals without some form of exam?
    I do agree that we need to take mental health more seriously. This year my work with A level students has been harder because of the poor mental health of some of the youngsters I was working with.
    The MH problems were not caused by the exams, but made worse by the students choosing inappropriate courses leading towards careers for which they were unsuited.
    Exams give a closer approximation to a level playing field with the Public Schools than any other form of assessment that I can think of.
    We do need assessment for the full range of ability. I do not think that single shot, high stakes exams are as reliable as we would like to think. Trouble is every time exam results rise we hear the chorus of "too many people are passing".

4. 01ade

01ade New commenter

It is not possible to abandon exams. Exams are needed to check out the progress learners are making in the studies. What should be discouraged is making pupils feel bad as a result of their performance as well as comparison of results with peers.