1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam results day - then and now

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 22, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The (national and regional) this evening is full of clips of shrieking, squealing, weeping and hugging students collecting their GCSE results. It seems strange that it has become such a big public spectacle.

When I did 'O'-Levels back in 1970 I don't even remember there being a 'results day'. I may be wrong but as far as I recall the results just arrived when they were ready. I visited the school for a few consecutive days to see if the results were out and, when they were, they were all on a set of spreadsheets which had been sellotaped to the inside of the school's glass front doors. No sign of any of the staff!

All the results were visible - my own and everybody else's. Couldn't be done that way with today's GDPR regulations! Word of mouth and telephone calls to friends that the results were out meant that a few of us gathered at the school, compared results and a few notes and then got on with things.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Mine arrived by post on a small piece of hand-written paper sent by the schools DH. If you wanted them this way you had to hand in a SAE before the school holidays, otherwise you had to wait for school to start again and go and ask for them.

Can't remember about A level, but also can't remember going to get them so probably the same thing.

I wouldn't have liked to go and get them with all the histrionics by some and an expectation to emote in some way as there seems to be today.

3. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

Mine came by post, I don’t remember there being a results day as such. My stamped addressed envelope came through the door and I went back to school at the start of the next academic year and told them which A levels I wanted to do

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Exactly the same for me.
    They were also posted up in school too but there was no point in spending unnecessary bus/train fare to find out what others had achieved. TBH nobody was much interested.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

League tables changed all that. Schools now rely on the carefully choreograhed group of photogenic teenage girls jumping for joy next to the school sign bearing its name to appear in the papers in time for the next cohort's open day.

It won't be long before they have them dressed in beachwear, as though they interrupted their holidays to rush to school for their results; the real reason being that such a photo would stand a higher chance of finding its way into the Daily Mail.

Neither will it be long, before Tampax adverts pick up on the idea of having teenagers who use their product, being able to jump higher than the other girls.

You never see fat kids in those photos, do you?

No doubt in time, it will become another issue that feminists have to address and government policy will be produced that says that photos on results day need to include a representative cross-section of the school's students, with an OFSTED inspector on hand to ensure that the kids who jump for the snap actually are representative of kids who achieved the grades and the school's data compliance officer on site, filling out forms that the students in the photo have to sign to agree permision for their images to be published for GDPR requirements.

Brexit isn't the only mad thing going on, you know.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ours were posted on a huge board at school, like a huge Excell Doc. With my O levels, I must be a year older than you Nomad ;), we'd gone on holiday to Germany and I'd stayed on, so my mother had to go to the school, try and correctly work out which line was were mine and then she phoned me with the results. :) The results were posted up from 9 am and people went anywhen they liked during the day. Certainly no staff around and no histrionics as few people were there at the same time.

By the time it got to As 2 years later, I'd got myself organised and had handed in a SAE with the address of where I was staying.

BertieBassett2 and nomad like this.
  7. LondonCanary

I think it will. It's 2019 now.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You could afford a stanped addressed envelope?

Luxury!

I had to chisel my own piece of slate from the local quarry...

MAGAorMIGA, colpee, Jesmond12 and 4 others like this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

O (74) and A (76) on A3 printouts on a classroom window. Show up at your own footfall/expense and find out not just your but everyone else's results too.
    Edit: I would expect nothing more.

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  10. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Both O and A levels results were posted to me. Why we would I go into school? All my friends were working to have some money for college. I had applied to a college and was accepted. No interview. My sister, much older said would I like to go and see the college? So she drove me there. It was by the sea. Well why else would I go there!
    Not many people went to university then. They didn’t know they had to!

Lara mfl 05, nomad and Shedman like this.
  11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

It’s all so much more choreographed now. Radio 1 were doing ‘Results Day’ tracks for A levels , (the one with the lyrics ‘I could have cheated and could have passed and then I got high’ was conspicuous in its absence!)
    With GCSE it seems to be creeping earlier in the day (was a leisurely 10.30am opening in the Nineties when I got mine) - one assumes this gives the better to do kids and those with the friendship groups time to get Mum and Dad to drive them to Reading and get a spot before even White fills up (or Leeds for those oop North.) where the sensible will avoid drugs and the less so might have have their first experience of Ket or Molly or weed..............at least festival environments are very well organised and patrolled so the kids are being supervised even though it feels like the first bit of true freedom from parents some will have.....

nomad likes this.
  12. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

In 1977 we had a results day, but I can't remember how we knew when it would be. A group of about 10 of us went in to school together, collected our slips of paper and then drifted round to one of the group's houses and his mum cooked us all a late breakfast. I seem to have a clearer memory of that breakfast than I do my results.

Lara mfl 05, silkywave and nomad like this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My O levels in 1970 were posted to me. Pupils lived all over the city as it was the only RC Grammar school. I rang one friend to share my results. I found out what everyone else had achieved on the first day back for 6th Form. I then had to dig my heels in to be allowed to do 3 A levels.

The Head of 6th Form was the English teacher that I'd had for 5 years. I never received a pass mark from her in internal exams. She didn't want me to take English Language O level. I insisted and got my father (a Primary headteacher) to support me by telling her that he would give me private tuition. That never happened. I gained a Grade 1 which was the top grade. Said teacher then got the school to pay for a re-mark, confident that the Joint Matriculation Board would discover their mistake and issue a fail. My grade stood. She was livid and said it was a complete fluke but she had to let me continue with 3 A levels.

Dragonlady30 and nomad like this.
  14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good grief, jubilee. :eek:

15. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I may be wrong here, but I'm beginning to develop a slight suspicion that the English teacher didn't like you very much, Jubilee. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. LondonCanary

What did you do to cause her such displeasure?

17. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

In my day, everyone's results were in the local paper. I know all about GDPR and everything today, but surely public exams really should still be public. That's the whole point. At least, that's what I tell my classes when I put all the mock results up on the wall!

The only results that were not published were the time a boy died between the exams and the results day. I still wonder what he got

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have no idea. I was a super well-behaved pupil. I paid attention and did as I was told. My English work was grammatically correct and I was excellent at spelling. I'd always been first in Maths and second in English up to the age of 11. I tried so hard to get praise from her. I spent a whole weekend writting an essay on Northanger Abbey when I was 14 or 15 and was sure that it would turn the tables and get a good mark. I can see her now walking between the desks to get to me as she handed back the homework. "A very nicely written essay, jubilee" she said. "It's clearly your sister's work!" My sister was 10 months older and in the year above me.

19. LondonCanary

I hit like as there is no Goodness Me button.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  20. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

My results were posted to my home 1973 and 1975. I did not know how my pals had done. My sister got her A level results the year I got my O levels. 1973. She had failed two of her exams and I had 4 A grades at O level.. She never forgave me for doing well.

nomad likes this.