1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam questions

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by aman_dhesi, Nov 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aman_dhesi

aman_dhesi New commenter

Hello there

I am a PGCE student I need some advise on exam prep lessons. I am teaching GCSE Business and I am doing some exam prep in the next few lessons. I have made students tackle a exam questions peer assess against the he mark scheme and self assess. Is there anything else anyone can recommend that I can do with exam prep lessons?

Kind regards

2. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I've been out of mainstream for a few years. When is your first exam? January? is this the new no Controlled Assessment or coursework Unit?

You need to ask your HOD and mentor to furnish you with the correct exam specification and go from there. They should have student exemplars to let you understand the difference between grades/ levels.

This is vague, apologies. Speak to your HOD on Monday. Good luck.

3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Show a sample answer and ask them to identity the key elements from the mark scheme and assign a mark. They then rewrite it as a better answer, using whatever elements from the mark scheme they did not find in the original answer.

Give groups a different question to look at and get them to prepare an activity or lesson or worksheet or revision sheet for that question. They then move around so the groups blend and share their understanding of how to answer that question.

Quick quiz: do a 5 minute quiz that tests them on their basic knowledge (e.g. spelling key terms, definitions of key words etc.)

Planning an answer in pairs. Rather than constantly writing exam answers, give them a choice of, say, 10 questions around different parts of the exam and then ask pairs to choose three and plan their responses.