1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam Questions

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by heathermckenna1987, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am on here hoping for some advice. I have two year nine borderline GCSE groups that are struggling to understand the wording of exam questions.
    Examples of questions they are finding difficult include:
    • Explain how having a religious belief would influence a view on human rights (4 marks)
    • Describe two examples of when there has been a conflict between personal conviction and authority (6 marks)
    They understand the content and can respond to exam style questions if I rephrase them but struggle to work out the meanings for themselves.
    At the moment we read through the questions and check understanding before the students begin practice questions. We do lots of work on key words to make sure they understand specific vocab. I am also going to start getting them to practice rephrasing questions.
    Any other ideas for activities to help with this would be very much appreciated.

2. Hi everyone,
    I am on here hoping for some advice. I have two year nine borderline GCSE groups that are struggling to understand the wording of exam questions.
    Examples of questions they are finding difficult include:
    • Explain how having a religious belief would influence a view on human rights (4 marks)
    • Describe two examples of when there has been a conflict between personal conviction and authority (6 marks)
    They understand the content and can respond to exam style questions if I rephrase them but struggle to work out the meanings for themselves.
    At the moment we read through the questions and check understanding before the students begin practice questions. We do lots of work on key words to make sure they understand specific vocab. I am also going to start getting them to practice rephrasing questions.
    Any other ideas for activities to help with this would be very much appreciated.