1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam postponement

Discussion in 'International Baccalaureate' started by miketribe, Mar 18, 2020.

1. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

It really is time for the IBO to get its collective head out of the sand and delay this year’s exams. Current excuses are really a bit laughable...

2. Hecuba31

Hecuba31 New commenter

I think you are saying what we are all thinking. IB is keeping very quiet these days....

3. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

Agreed. There is no way they can go ahead. But what do we do? Award on predicted grades?

4. miketribe

That’s really the IBO’s call. There are several options. In several subjects in which students have already completed part of the assessment. In history, for example, they will have completed their IAs, and in the languages, by next week, most of them will also have finished orals. Perhaps grades could be based on what’s already been done. Then, as you say, there are the predicted grades. The IBO has records of past years. They know which schools tend to be over (or under) optimistic so they could use these records to make some sort of statistical adjustment...

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

6. miketribe

This is the same as they've been saying for a couple of weeks, basically, and things have really moved on since then. Now they're supposed to be taking a decision on March 27. Why the wait?

7. miketribe

The Spanish government has just decreed we'll be closed and under house arrest until at least April 13th, and no one seems terrribly confident that that will be the end of it. I'm beginning to fall seriously behind with my IB classes. Maybe we should start trying to get the IBO to consider pushing NEXT year's exams back to June since it seems to take them at least a year to decide anything at all!

8. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

iBDP and CP exams have been cancelled. Unclear how they will award grades but coursework and “established assessment expertise” (predicted grades?) will be taken into account.

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

if I remember back to H1N1 I'm sure they just took predicted grades. 90% of our kids got unconditional acceptance from their choice of universities....but then they are full fee-paying international students. which university is going to turn down all that money

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

IB have to deal with the UK decision to have no exams this year. My bet is that whatever they decide to to for UK IB students they will roll across the world. Otherwise you end up with some students having sat exams and some who have not. That would not be acceptable to the universities.

11. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

12. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

We have just found out that we have to upload all IA's which will be marked by "expert examiners" I am not sure about this. If the debacle of the Extended Essay is anything to go by we will get no feedback and the papers, for want of a better word, will be marked by people some of whom are retired and haven't taught the subject for some years. I fear for the kids this year, but then what's new!

Perce

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I must concur perce. We are being asked to submit the IAs to be marked AND submit our marking of the IAs with justification for each mark AND submit predicted grades for the subject. I really do not understand how the students end up with a grade.