1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam part of Cambridge nationals

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictgoodpractice, Mar 3, 2012.

1. The exam is back to the old short course which the kids hated. What do others thing of unit 1?

2. It's a more modern exam than the GCSE but still rather tough. I prefer the BTEC I&CT online exams.

3. I'm more worried about the 'i.e.' bit, where it says that anything 'i.e.' must all be done, but e.g. is just examples.

From the spreadsheet unit: "enter functions, i.e. SUM, AVERAGE, LOOKUPS, IF, AND, OR, TODAY, DATE, MIN, MAX, COUNT". Glad there won't be lots of excessive jumping through hoops then!

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

But they were all KS4 staples less than 10 years ago - I think that =if() might even have appeared on a BCS paper once. Year 7 kids can use spreadsheets to add up and do graphs - what do you think they should be doing after another four years' progress?

5. That's a fair point, but I'll be interested in seeing a spreadsheet that sensibly uses all of those functions.

6. Looking at the spec, it seems the exam covers much of what used to be unit 1 of the OCR Nationals - seems to cover quite a lot for the GLH quoted. Anyone else of the same opinion? Or have I mis-read it?