1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam marking

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by JodiP, Mar 22, 2020.

1. JodiP

JodiP Occasional commenter

I mark every year and our family rely on this money as part of our annual income. Will regular exam markers be included in the 80% pay from the government, do we know?

2. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Probably not as atm no marking is to take place or at least we don't know what involvement exam markers will have with exam boards assessing the correct grades for this years GCSEs or A Levels. Marking is seen as additional earnings, so technically, it may be rather low down as a priority, if at all a considered perspective.
    It may be worth contacting the exam boards and see what they have to say.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  3. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Senior commenter

I would not think so, but on the other hand, you will still get your main income, you won't be commuting to work every day, paying for any extra childcare, spending on a holiday or social life, and there will be a 3 month mortgage holiday. OK not much fun but you will save a packet, so probably won't be going hungry. Lots of people facing a much more uncertain short term future.

4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The contracts are all of fixed duration. It seems hugely unlikely that anyone will be paid. Might be some work for Principal and Chief Examiners in the awarding process. Might be a few contracts in the autumn appeals season if those exams take place as proposed.

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Doubt it.

Apart from anything exam marker are not paid a wage (or am I wrong) and are paid per script. I think that that would make them if anything self employed and not currently supported other than UC which if you are a paid teacher you would be unlikely to get anything from that you do not already have the right to.

6. br0wnsugar

Just a thought ...

Couldn't the GCSE's and ALevel exams still have taken place with students spread out across a school building too? (school hall, sports hall, corridors on each floor, classrooms of no more than 12 students well distanced, cafeterias etc). and manned/invigilated by teaching staff who HAVE to be in school.

Of course, we know what has been decided but couldn't the above have worked?
    Students could be directed to revise on line with materials given by the school and organised the most appropriate numbers to fit in across the school building/classrooms with strict advice of no intermingling?

7. HolyMahogany

I can see what you have in mind but every school building is different, huge problem getting kids into school, public transport? school buses? Then they would all be using the same corridors, door ways, toilets. All areas would need deep cleaning after every exam. What about the ones whose families are in complete isolation due to illness and/ or underlying health problems. Also some young people have yet to really fully comprehend just how serious this is.
    IMO Current policy is best and really only option.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Another issue is that peak infection time could be in the middle of the exams. If a significant percentage of the candidates need special consideration for illness then it seems fairer that they all get it.

9. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

No, for all the reasons above. Contracts (0 hours) are offered based on the number of entries per exam series, as the exams have been cancelled then unfortunatley no money :(. Principal/Assistant principals may be involved in potential grade calculations or if offer for exams in September go ahead for those candidates who want to take it. Exam marking has always been an exception in the eyes of the goverment e.g. no national insurance paid etc.

10. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I used to work in a college where we had over 1,000 resit students. We had to close the whole college on GCSE days. Some were in the sports hall, some were in the library, some were in the computer rooms, some were in computer exam rooms, some were in isolation rooms, together with an individual invigilator, some had readers, some had scribes, some had both, some had 25% extra time, occasionally some had 50% extra time, some had to have extra breaks, some had a separate room with word processor, some had a reader and word processor, some had to have enlarged exam papers. I could go on. Imagine if the 200+ from the hall and the 30 odd from each classroom had to be split into smaller groups.
    If you're that keen to get your marking money perhaps you could offer your logistical advice as to how schools and colleges could go about organizing things

11. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

The OP has actually made a valid point: I don't rely on exam marking to make ends meet but it certainly helps. Enough that I sacrifice a good chunk of time at the end of the year, when I'm already exhausted and would really rather not be doing it. I suspect many teachers will be in the same boat. But if there are no papers to mark I don't see anyone getting paid.

Which makes me wonder whats happening this this years exam en trance fee, which schools pay partially so that the exam boards can employ examiners. I trust school will be getting that money refunded, rather than the exam boards being able to just pocket the lot?

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I wondered about that. I am not sure if they could afford to pay all of it, as some of the money will have been spent on paying the salaries of permanent employees and on producing the papers. I don't know when printing actually takes place - if it has, that is another cost.

As well as the exam marking, I am also losing my pay for the London elections. :(

13. br0wnsugar

Apparently in France, exams are due to be sat around September..I do believe that the school system is different to UK but we really should have just postponed it. Too many year 11s disappointed and not getting the chance to prove whether they reached particular levels. The year 13s again eager to sit exams and gain University places, legitimately..I think the decision was a knee jerked response.

14. br0wnsugar

I merely made an observation and gave a suggestion which could work had HT and co thought about the logisitics and making use of teaching staff and assistants. The exams could have been brought forward to April into May or postponed. Plus HT, SLT and co are paid highly enough to make creative decisions for the good of their students academic efforts by allowing the opportunity to sit exams worked hard for, over the past 5 years.

15. br0wnsugar

Postpone the exam but an exam will be sat!

16. br0wnsugar

Fair enough but without lockdown, other creative measures can be used. Luckily, I work in a school and a core subject department where we have both assessed and given mock tests for all subjects for year 11s so will have material that could yield a finishing level achieved but we all know that there are many students who surprisingly gain in confidence in 8 weeks or even longer if exams postponed and plus students would also feel a sense of completion. Now not only will students have a grade given for their most recent work but they also face aptitude tests for places at 6th forms and colleges which they have not been prepared for. It's a dilemma with no easy answers.

17. br0wnsugar

Ahh of course, scientifically, this would be a real concern.

18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know exactly the employment status of examiners is but at the moment the government 80% pay support only applies workers paid under PAYE. Are you?

It might change though. There's some political pressure to widen the scope of the 80%.

19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I certainly pay tax under PAYE on my marking, and on my election work. I wasn't expecting to get anything, but perhaps I am entitled.

20. HolyMahogany

I doubt that french kids will be setting any exams in September.
    The problem with postponing the exams is when do we postpone them to? We simply have no idea how long this will last. 3 months? 6 months? longer. If we are going to postpone, then pupils need to be given a specific date, we cannot simply set a date and then keep moving it or give a vague message that a date will be set sometime in the future. That is not fair to the kids and not really workable. By the time exams might take place I think many kids will have long since lost interest and any momentum they might have built up. Now is the time to invest in helping years 11 and 13 prepare for their next steps.