1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam marking!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by k477uk, Jan 1, 2006.

1. I have applied to do SAT marking, and been conditionally accepted, but need some extra cash this year due to holidays, and am considering applying for GCSE too. I understand the work is a lot, but will I have time to do both? Is it possible to have one lot finished, and the other lot just starting?

2. I have applied to do SAT marking, and been conditionally accepted, but need some extra cash this year due to holidays, and am considering applying for GCSE too. I understand the work is a lot, but will I have time to do both? Is it possible to have one lot finished, and the other lot just starting?

3. elt92

elt92 New commenter

sorry i cant answer ur question but just wondered how/where u applied to do SATs marking.

4. pete14

pete14 New commenter

It all depends when the GCSE exam you want to mark is taken. SATs are taken in early May so unless your selected GCSE exam is in mid June i.e one of the last exams, it is unlikely that you will be able to do both. I certainly would not recommend you try to mark them both during the same time period. If this is the first time you have marked external exams, don't overload yourself.

5. so why not do a level - more time between them and better paid!

6. Ahh Yes! Seems stupid but never thought of that! The reason I wanted GCSE was to get the experience!

7. I examined GCSE in my subject for the first time last summer.

As a means of earning extra money, its not really worthwhile (although it did pay for a lovely short break in Brittany in August!).

Far more valuable is its value from a CPD point of view. I learnt things about GCSE in my subject that are simply not in the syllabus, and yet are invaluable. The little things that examiners look for, the tricks of the trade, mean that my students will be much better prepared this summer.

Its not a question of cheating, simply a question of knowing more about the system - knowing what the examiners are looking for.

I would strongly advise all teachers who teach exam groups to have a stab at examining, not for the money, not for the experience, but to get an insight into the course concerned.

8. I mark the notorious Edexcel GCSE Religious Studies, and grossed £5000 last summer. I lost my summer holiday, but my wife got a new kitchen out of it. It's not for everyone, but exam marking can be very rewarding, both financially and for gaining extra insight into your subject.

9. pete14

pete14 New commenter

I think £5000 is exceptional - it must have been a lot of hard work. I do echo the inset value of marking - it really can make a difference. I know exam groups are currently doing inset sessions reporting back on 2005 exams. These can also be useful especially for people who don't feel marking is for them because they are often led by the people who write the exams.

10. I'm thinking of applying to become an examiner. Obviously for the experience, GCSE History is the one I'd go for. Just out of interest, how does A level marking or SAT marking compare to GCSE marking in terms of how much you get?

11. I haven't done the SATs, but I have done GCSE and A-Level marking. You always get paid 'per paper' and you get more for marking an A-level paper than a GCSE one. However, it takes longer to mark an A-level paper, so by the time you have marked one A-level paper, you may have marked two GCSE, which means you could have earned more by marking the GCSE papers in the same time scale.
    It might be different with certain subjects though, I have marked English, Drama and Theatre Studies, which take a lot of reading and getting through. If you mark a subject which has only right or wrong answers, the time it takes to mark is probably less.