1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam marking

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bananamoore, Mar 29, 2012.

1. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

Just wondered if any other tutors do exam marking? I wanted to give it a go as thought it would be good for my tutoring skills, plus a bit of extra work/income after the exams finish in June. I have registered and been approved to mark A-level Biology with OCR for over a year now, but not heard a peep. Do they take a while to work down lists? Anyone been approved, but never been offered anything? Interested in hearing other people's experiences.

Thanks

2. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Get on the books of one or two other boards too. You may find that once you've done one session, you'll be invited back each year (so long as you do a good job).

It'll be a bit like tutees, getting the first one to 'start the ball rolling' will be key.

DB

3. I usually mark KS2 tests, got my foot in the door by the first year I did it being the year of the ETS debacle when they lost a tonne of markers anyway so had lots of spare room - and then had my foot in the door whereby if I got a decent marker grade each year I got a contract the following year. Other people have had to start off as reserve markers with very very small allocations as people have dropped out.
    Not marking this year though since I'm due to give birth on the day of the tests - but they've said that it shouldn't really affect subsequent contracts if it's just a one-year gap.

4. bananamoore

Thanks for the responses. I thought that would be the case. I'll keep waiting and will try some other boards too.

5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

OCR already contacted me for one subject this year, so I'd try othr boards and offer a range of courses if you can, as it maybe they don't need anyone else for that course.Theydidn't ask me to mark for their second subject so they probably hav eplenty of markers for that.

Having said that, some of their markers may drop out so you may yet get a call!

6. bananamoore

Cheers. I did apply for a course with vacancies which is why I'm surprised I've not had any offers since. I'm quite looking forward to a break from tutoring/work come June so happy either way at the moment!!

7. I'm marking KS2 Maths this year and I find it's a great way of keeping up to date with what's required when preparing children for the SATs. I have been told that Edexcel have a contract for marking the SATs again next year so you could try them.

8. decj

decj New commenter

I have applied to mark papers this year, but have heard that Edexcel are difficult to deal with - poor communications, late payments etc. Is this true?

9. leftieM

leftieM New commenter

I was put on the list but I didn't get any marking until the following year. My HoD passed up on marking for a year and hasn't been asked back despite being graded as an A.

10. To decj - I've been with them for the last 4 years, and only once last year I had problems, and they were quick to sort it out.

11. decj

decj New commenter

Aw, thank you mat9993. That's encouraging.[​IMG]