1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam marking whilst teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JustCricket, Jun 24, 2019.

1. JustCricket

JustCricket New commenter

Hi,

I’m a UK teacher about to move abroad to teach in an international school in China. During June, I usually mark 2-3 exam papers for my subject. The pay isn’t great but I quite like it and would like to keep doing it. There’s lots of threads about tax that I’ve looked at and the general consensus is that you pay tax in the country you work in and not the UK... But the exam boards specify that you need to have a UK bank account to receive payment.

I mustn’t be the first person for this to happen to and some other forum members must also mark GCSE/A level papers whilst abroad as it’s all done online nowadays. So does anyone know how that income is handled for tax purposes?

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

I do it. Check the small print of the contract though - you can mark in an EU country (I'm in Spain) but I'm pretty sure you can't do it elsewhere... not even sure if I'll be able to do it next year thanks Brexshit.

I get paid into a UK bank account and complete a UK tax return (naturally, I'm under the thresh-hold, so don't end up paying any tax). As Spain has a double-taxation agreement with the UK, I don't therefore need to declare this income on my Spanish tax return. The Spanish tax office seem happy with this.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Definitely maintain a uk bank account throughout your time overseas. Makes so many things so much easier.

theintlteacher likes this.
  4. Louise1139

Louise1139 New commenter

I agree with maintaining a UK account and credit card always to have a credit rating should you return.

However some exam boards will only pay your earnings into an account which matches the country of your residence to keep themselves compliant with UK tax law. Cambridge for one. And Edexcel demand a UK address. They all have slightly different rules around this. I would recommend getting registered with CIE for least issues marking whilst abroad in my experience.

5. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

When I lived in Spain the exam board I marked for wouldn’t appoint me.

It might be worth checking with your current exam board whether they allow oversea workers. I had previously marked online English Literature GCSE papers.

6. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Or you could see if you could get some IB marking...

7. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

In the ME. UK exam boards (GCSE/ A level) will not allow me to mark for them because we are overseas. IB marking is not an issue for obvious reasons.

8. mas_o_menos

mas_o_menos New commenter

I do it - pay into my UK bank account. I work with others who do too. We aren't in Europe.

theintlteacher likes this.
  9. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

Are there any primary school teachers here who do marking? Cambridge International seems to be a possibility, are there any other options? Thanks.

10. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Cambridge pay me into my UK account despite my residence being elsewhere.

It's also worth knowing that it differs by exam board, subject, and level. In my subject, they are happy to accept markers for igcse who live internationally. At GCE they will not allow it, despite the marking system (ca assessor) being the same. No rationale given, but they won't.

11. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Would love to do it myself but takes an eternity to get mail from the UK, twice as slow as getting it there i may add, and at four times the charge, when using courier services!

12. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

IB marking is mostly online now, and I know someone here who marks IGCSE history & geography online...

frogusmaximus likes this.
  13. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

Marking is done online now for both Cambridge International and Pearson (Edexcel international) so no concerns needed about the postal or courier services.

14. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Interesting and thanks for posting. Maybe i need to look into this as an additional source of income give my present semi retired status.

MsBuzy likes this.
  15. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

I retired last year and am marking for Cambridge and Edexcel (not for the same subjects).
    Everything has been done online, including the training and standardisation, although I have friends marking some subjects who have attended face to face training.

It is not fabulously well-paid, but is steady money, and I have marked in three sessions throughout the year which has so far paid for a new shed and a holiday.

16. DocShew

DocShew New commenter

I could never understand why, many years ago, CIE ran a moderating session at a NABSS conference in Madrid and subsequently awarded me a certificate, which means I am able to mark coursework...not in Spain, only in UK though. Anyone know if this has changed?

17. MsBuzy

MsBuzy New commenter

Yes, things have changed in the last couple of years. It is possible to mark in different countries now, and I understand that you can be paid into an overseas bank account. (Although I have no personal experience of this as I use my UK bank account.)
    I assume that the growth in numbers of candidates being entered worldwide led to a growth in demand for exam markers which couldn't be fulfilled by limiting it to the UK.

I can only speak well of Cambridge- the standardisation was useful, my team leader was an excellent support, and I even got an interim payment at the end of June for marking done before the 18th, rather than having to wait until the end of July for the whole lot.

18. aideng

aideng New commenter

If you don't mind sharing, what is the payment per script for CIE marking with for the different subjects you guys have marked? The pay rate for IB marking is very good indeed, but I remember GCSE marking in the UK being a long and less well paid experience (although not the end of the world - 25-30 quid an hour in the end).