1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam marking whilst on maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by glsimons1, Jan 4, 2016.

1. glsimons1

glsimons1 New commenter

I am due to go on maternity leave in the middle of January. In May/June, I have been offered a chance of exam marking (Something I do each year) for AQA and Edexcel.

Would undertaking this work effect my maternity pay? I am doing this on a self-employed basis; usually, this would not effect my job within the school as there are no face-to-face meetings, and everything is done online.

Marking would be done outside of school hours (evenings and weekends) and would not usually interfere with my school related work.

I want to do this to fund the unpaid three months at the end of the maternity leave period, so I can spend the full year with my little one rather than rush back to work due to lack of income.

Please advise.

2. Pinoir

Pinoir New commenter

I did GCSE and A Level marking when on maternity leave and it didn't affect pay.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There is nothing to stop you doing exam marking while on maternity leave, and many folk do.
    However, *should* you be asked to declare your earnings then you are legally obliged to do so and that is when it might come to affect any active claim you had for SMP at the time of undertaking the work. If you are no longer in receipt of SMP there is no such concern.

4. glsimons1

glsimons1 New commenter

Thank you both. I figured my SMP might be affected, but I'm not sure about who to talk to regarding this, and who to declare this extra income to.

I think I'd rather declare the marking money earned and forfeit any SMP for that period, as I'm likely to earn more money marking than with the SMP!

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

While I'm not one to remotely endorse 'fraudulence' of any kind… I think I'd check on the payment schedule for examination marking first. By the time you get paid, your SMP period may well have expired which rather negates any issue as you won't have been 'paid' while claiming :)

6. kimberleycarden

kimberleycarden New commenter

Hi, I am in the same boat as you at the moment. Did you end up losing out on your SMP when you started marking for the exam boards?

Thanks

Kim

QUOTE="glsimons1, post: 11548063, member: 1411834"]Thank you both. I figured my SMP might be affected, but I'm not sure about who to talk to regarding this, and who to declare this extra income to.

I think I'd rather declare the marking money earned and forfeit any SMP for that period, as I'm likely to earn more money marking than with the SMP![/QUOTE]
    Hi