1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam marking fee - too low!

Discussion in 'English' started by Honeydew, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hello,

Just wanted to see what others thought. I've been asked to mark GCSE English papers again this year but the fee is low compared to other exam boards I've marked for.

Last year I met my quotas but the amount of hours I put into marking just didn't seem to be worth the pay. I was exhausted!!

Does anyone else feel the same? I know the spec really well and have already marked for them (this has helped my teaching) so there's no incentive for me to mark for them again. The ONLY incentive would have been the pay.

I'm really disappointed. I'm thinking of marking for another exam board now - where the pay is better.

Anyone else feel the same way?
    Thanks

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Which examining body?

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

An OCR GCSE 9 to 1 Language paper paying £3:85 a script last summer is paying £5:10 this year.
    Don't know anything about other papers or other bodies.

4. sara666

sara666 New commenter

Hi, I agree some examination boards pay too low for the number of scripts you have to mark.

5. markuss

The awarding bodies (except for Pearson?) are charities but not ones set up to support us, the examiners.

6. markuss

There aren't any big exam boards existing now, Honeydew. They finished in 2001.
    You are limited pretty well to AQA, OCR, Pearson, and the Welsh - all awarding bodies, not exam boards.

7. markuss

Other organisations pay examiners too. There is NFER work. There's PISA.

Don't think any great pay deals are offered anywhere, though.

8. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

Hello,
    Sorry for the late reply. It's Pearson. They just recently sent a new contract with slightly better pay. Still thinking of switching though.

Sorry, Markuss - I should have said awarding bodies :)

9. markuss

The marking fee for the OCR paper I marked last summer has gone up a lot this year.
    (You would earn about £20 an hour before tax deduction, I'd say.)

10. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

When you said low fee, I immediately thought of OCR. As Markuss informs us, though, its rate has increased substantially. I’m surprised Pearson is the low payer. As the most technologically advanced exam board (and I’m using that term because that’s what Ofqual call them), it should have the lowest costs. I fear the savings of this and examiners’ salaries are going towards profit.

11. CandysDog

• AQA = charity
    • CCEA = public body owned by the Department of Education in Northern Ireland
    • OCR = part of Cambridge Assessment, a division of the University of Cambridge
    • Pearson (including Edexcel) = profit-making company
    • WJEC (including Eduqas) = company owned by the Welsh local authorities

12. missb88

missb88 New commenter

I'm an examiner for edexcel and the pay seems to be decreasing on a yearly basis. Is there a better exam board out there to work for?

jofran likes this.
  13. Honeydew

Honeydew New commenter

I was offered a contract a few weeks ago - the pay was lower than last year's (including the bonus deadline fee).

I didn't accept the contract within the deadline and so it was withdrawn. I then received another contract on the same day with exactly the same pay!

I am seriously considering marking for AQA instead.

14. CandysDog

I’ve recently been reappointed an examiner and the pay is up 4% for the same paper as last year – that’s a bigger pay rise than I’ve ever has as a teacher!

EnglishLecturerNicole likes this.
  15. CandysDog

Seeing as AQA are actually quoting their rates of pay in their advertising, I guess it’s okay to share them:

AD45D1E6-E968-4810-A142-E0F1E2807E85.jpeg

16. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I long ago made my peace with the fact exam marking is better for my teaching practice than my bank balance! In terms of hours I don't find it worth the money, but helpful for my teaching. You might be better changing boards to break the monotony...

Rhic87, MissSci and pepper5 like this.
  17. bioknight45

bioknight45 New commenter

Hello, Can someone tell me how much AQA pays its examiners per paper for Biology GCSE?

18. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Is it possible to mark more than one subject?
    Is it feasible to combine marking A level and GCSE?
    What about FS? I believe FS exams take place throughout the year.
    I am considering combining private tuition and being an examiner.

philippajaneevans likes this.
  19. markuss

There's plenty of scope if you're prepared to apply and bodies accept you.

Yes there is On Demand Functional Skills. All year round marking but not many scripts at a time. OCR certainly and AQA?