1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam marking and SMP

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by fizzywiz, Apr 2, 2019.

1. fizzywiz

fizzywiz New commenter

Dear All
    I am currently on Mat Leave and was hoping to mark AQA summer exams as an examiner. I am unsure if it is possible to do this without impacting on SMP. I’ve had conflicting information from various sources
    -My employer has said it was fine
    -the union said it would stop my SMP
    -maternity action have said its okay providing I mark on a self employed basis
    -HMRC couldn’t give me an answer.
    Has anybody marked for AQA while on Mat leave before? Did it impact SMP? Did you declare it? I’m scared of doing the wrong thing and my SMP payments being stopped.
    Many thanks

2. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

Can't answer your specific questions, but I do know you can't mark on a self employed basis - therefore I'm guessing the pay will affect your SMP unless each day you mark is classed as a KIT day.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Were you already doing exam marking?
    If you already have two jobs, they are treated separately (and you can even get two lots of SMP if you earn enough in both jobs!). However a new job does lead to losing SMP. Unfortunately it looks like they measure whether you were already working in the second job by whether they were employing you in the qualifying week, which they probably weren't.

See paragraphs 3.11 and 3.12 of https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...echnical-guidance#statutory-maternity-pay-smp

You can't have KIT days with an employer other than the one paying you SMP, unfortunately.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It looks dangerous to me. I wonder if being self-employed would help anyway - does that count as another employer? Also, I wonder what the position with a zero hours contract is if that existed before the qualifying week even if there was no work at the time. I think my exam marking might count as zero hours - I don't get a new contract every year and I may or may not be offered work.

For what it is worth, my guess is that you union is right and it would be an unwise thing to do. But that is just my best guess.