1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam Inspector

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Emmsy Squired, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Emmsy Squired

Emmsy Squired New commenter

Sorry for the post in Personal - but thought I could get a response quicker here!

I've been out of teaching for a while but considering a job as exams officer in a school. Just want to make sure I'm up with some key points.

Can you tell me:

1. How often does the JCQ Inspector come? Is it always at the same time of the year?

2. How does the inspector decide which student's Access info to look at - is it random or does he come already with a list of kids he wants to evidence for

3. Are there any issues wit the new online application for access arrangements etc?

Many thanks for all your wonderful words of wisdom!

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Mrs Piranha was an Exams Officer until recently. Her words of wisdom:

1. The inspector always turned up once during summer exams. All the inspections when she was there turned up very little of note - perhaps a school with a history of problems might get more visits.

2. The inspector asked for a list of Access arrangements, and then asked for details of some of them, usually including any unusual arrangements.

3. No problem with the online system. You do need to have everything to hand when starting a new application. The SENCO is responsible for deciding what to ask for.

I hope this helps. My own comment is that it is a very stressful job. Mrs P was far more stressed during the exam season than I was, even though most of my classes are exam classes. If you don't mind a bit of stress then go for it, and good luck!

3. Emmsy Squired

Emmsy Squired New commenter

Thanks ever so. Hope I can handle the stress and more importantly don't do anything wrong!

So we just provide a list of the kids with AA and they just pick? I assumed it would be like coursework moderation and they would arrive with a list of pre-picked names.

Thanks!

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter