1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam Estimates

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by bigjimmy2, Mar 17, 2020.

1. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

With inevitable school closures just around the corner, are you being asked to put in estimates for your classes?

I can understand why in this unique situation - exams may be cancelled - but in the past they have been totally irrelevant.

Usually I put in estimates based on the evidence I had, eg prelims, unit tests and homework. Often my FH asked me to up my estimates because in their opinion they were too low and my estimate was saying pupils "wouldn't improve in three months". This was usually for pupils who had no hope of passing the exam and shouldn't have been taking the course in the first place. A corrupt farce.

Marisha likes this.
  2. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Not yet but greeting all certificate classes (well, the kids that show up) with a happy smile and a P&N paper this week. So far they’re actually doing worse than they did in the prelim but I’m putting that down to stress.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  3. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Think this is a big issue, teachers have to show a bit of integrity and give a 9 or 7 where it is due. The kid that worked hard for their A or B should not have it undermined by teachers to scared to fail the kids that don’t deserve a pass. Go on do the right thing, do it for the hard working pupils

4. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

I had one come to see me at the end of the school day after Swinney's announcement worried about his estimated grade. He's failed virtually every assessment, doesn't do homework, bombed his prelim and was off 3 times when his assignment was due to be held (deliberate avoidance) and he asks me if there's any chance I could put him in for a C?

Bear in mind if you over inflate estimates without legitimate evidence you could be up before the GTCS

markbannan, aypi, Marisha and 2 others like this.
  5. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

We did a mini prelim today covering material from the whole course.

The mark for that will be combined with the December full length prelim to provide an overall grade.

We will then use the "normal" grade boundaries to get the predicted grades.

6. bigjimmy2

I hate pupils like that.

Estimates should be taken from a mixture of prelims, unit tests and homework, suitably weighted. Nothing more.

If it's a 7 or a 9 then so be it. I'm sure more than one teacher in the entire country will be threatened with violence as a result of this.

markbannan likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

There is 5 years of evidence to look at if it amounts to ‘real’ Teacher Assessment. Then there are the books of the students if they are still available.

Where classes are ‘set’ it may be more obvious where the grades may lie. Although there may be exceptions.

Teachers might for example be willing to go one grade above the predicted grade, but no more in my view. It seems to me that Exam Boards will officially request ‘Estimated Grades’ from each subject based on a range of evidence. The words ‘professional judgement’ are bound to be used too.

If Exam Boards wanted to be really thorough, they could request the ‘attendance figures’ over 2 years of each candidate as this may also be linked to performance.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    alexmurraybrown likes this.
  8. subman68

5 years of work? Nonsense. Some subjects are not core subjects, we also,have crash higher and in my crazy school kids pick subjects in s4 and s5 that they have never picked. I have had people dumped in my class in October and then I have to estimate in March. 9s all round

markbannan and bigjimmy2 like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Wow - I agree, it certainly sounds like a ‘crazy school’. Many subjects will have been done for 5 yrs. Only a few in reality may have been for 2 yrs. And besides even 2 yrs of work is enough to be fair.

As for those ‘dumped’ - you should have put up a more powerful argument imho and cried ‘foul play’. But if you say they all deserve 9s it must be the easiest GCSE ever and sounds a little dodgy to me. Not good.

10. bigjimmy2

Install, this is Scotchland, not Engurland or Nordern Ireland or Wales and a Grade 9 National 5 (not GCSE) amounts to what's called a No Award, ie a fail. We only have one exam board, the SQA, and not several, like the rUK.

Some pupils are allowed to choose the subject in S4, for various reasons, without having ever done it previously. Schools indulge their pupils in that respect. Consequently pupils are judged only on the duration of the National 5 course, normally a year but sometimes two.

Pupils are increasingly being put on to courses, again, for various reasons, which they have no chance of passing: ie "dumped".

markbannan and Marisha like this.
  11. Gavster77

Gavster77 Occasional commenter

The thirty six year old HGIOS spouting HT at our school will have us being 24/7 online tutors and advisors to our pupils who are off and nurses and caterers to the weans who’ve come in.
    Coursework to the evidence level Swinney is implying will need to be harvested from senior phase kids in the majority of cases where teachers thought we had another three weeks.
    There’s no common sense or clarity to this implied advice from Swinney (who has given local authority directors of education abs head teachers a licence to demand all kinds of zaniness.)
    The EIS are rolling over and accepting this with no regard for the instant pressure and infinite workload this places on teachers. Our local area secretary has in fact practically said “its an emergency, you’re all still being paid, suck it up and do it”
    I advise every teacher in Scotland to go off sick, preserve your sanity and send a message to ScotGov, Cosla, the GTCS and the SQA.

gitana, inthered and bigjimmy2 like this.
  12. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Classic Swinney last night. He put on his serious face and made statements which will cause misery for every teacher in Scotland. He managed to take no responsibility for any of the actions he outlined. If it all goes to hell in a handcart it will be the fault of everybody except him.

Teachers will now be under immense pressure from parents and students to give inflated grades. Management will also be pressuring teachers to give the rosiest picture possible and they will not be subtle.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Arrr- thank you..Such a pity about the dumping process and not good at all.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  14. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

The madness has begun in our school today. Pupils who are less conscientious than garden gnomes being estimated at C and B passes. Nonsense all round.

WitchFingers, Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  15. subman68

Just walked by the Maths dept. They have the kids doing a prelim.....yes but an open book prelim. Anyone happy about that? Teachers must keep the standards top try and keep the integrity of the awards that will be passed out. I am appealed at what I have just witnessed.

markbannan likes this.
  16. bigjimmy2

If pupils are given inflated grades take solace that in the longer run they will be found out when they can't do whatever they're supposed to do.

Swinney is as useless as his predecessors.

Marisha likes this.
  17. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Fife is making staff go to work.

https://www.centralfifetimes.com/ne...3dJJnirXak0gcuBwEKnRSnKH7CNSbSPXoS3KPVoyPfEq4

inthered and bigjimmy2 like this.
  18. subman68

I hope someone in Fife takes her to task for risking the lives of both staff and pupils. How stupid is she? They are not shutting schools for a laugh, there is a real health issue. Over 3400 dead in Italy so far, this is on the way here. Get in, stay in and dont let people into your house. This is a shocking lack of leadership, she should be disciplined over this. So so sad that the unions are in league with the SG.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  19. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

In England all schools will be open on Monday. The advice from the UK government is that only the children of key workers on the list are to be sent to school but if at all possible, children are to be at home and social distancing is to be observed. However, the list of key workers is extensive so about half of students will be in school.

I believe that Fife council are incorrect when they say that teachers need to come to work. All it takes is for teachers to say that they are self isolating and Fife council do not have a leg to stand on.

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  20. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

The Fife kids have had their last day today.

I think it's the case that the so-called hubs are there for the children of NHS workers and so on. I've not heard any specifics, however.

So far as preparing online courses, I don't see why staff have to be at their place of work. Pregnant teachers had already been told they could work from home.

bigjimmy2 likes this.