1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

exam concessions

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by chrissienqt, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Thanks for that Minnie me. I too had a previous incarnation wherein we were placed 1:1 with students to read their papers to themin exams. I cannot believe that the previous school would have recklessly thrown money about had it not been obliged to do so - I picked up masses of overtime during exam period as a part-timer! I think this needs futher investigation. Thanks again!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes some schools all too quick to say it's not possible because of staffing requirements but I used the language of entitlement and level playing field. Anyway surely you want to get the exam to be a ' positive ' experience -ha ! and well being is key.

3. Short answer...yes a student with a reader should really be accommodated 1:1. If it means shipping in readers casually ask your local university if you can hire theirs. All unversities use trained students as invigilators and for full emanuensis and they will be avaialble to work at that time.

4. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

Current JCQ regulations are -
    <font face="Tahoma">2.5.8 The centre is responsible for ensuring that if a candidate and reader are not accommodated separately, other candidates cannot overhear what the reader is saying and are not disturbed. If the candidate and reader are accommodated separately, a separate invigilator will be required.</font>
    <font face="Tahoma"></font>

I am an Exams Officer in a SEN school, we deal with this sirtuation often. We treat candidates individually according to preference and normal way of working.

If you think about it, if they are used to working with a reader in a classroom setting, having several candidates together with readers doesn't bother them too much. (And they shouldn't be getting a reader for exams unless it is their "normal way of working".)

And yes, finding enough staff can be a nightmare!

5. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Students don't need to be in a separate room if they have a reader. Often there can be several students in the same room needing a reader.
    It is possible to have one reader for a group of students if they are at similar levels and just need prompting on certain words.
    A student who requires all the text reading should have their own reader.
    Other considerations as an alternative to using readers are read aloud. This does require a separate room but does not need any evidence to support the decision apart from being the normal way of working.
    2.6 Read Aloud*

2.6.1 A candidate may work more effectively if he/she can hear themselves read.

A centre with a candidate who reads aloud to himself/herself

*There is not a requirement to process an application using Access arrangements on line or to record the use of the arrangement. No evidence is needed to support the arrangement.

<font size="1" face="Tahoma,Tahoma"></font>
    It is also worth considering the use of modified papers which simplify the language and can be an alternative to using a reader.