1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

exam concessions for SEN students

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Wotton, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Our students who have extra time sit in a different room so that they are not disturbed. All our local schools do the same.

2. Same as Wotton.
    We use separate rooms for our extra timers (and individual rooms for those needing readers, scribes etc etc). Yes, it's a logistical nightmare, but if these students are being disrupted by others coming and going, either at the beginning or the end, then it's not giving them the level playing field that the extra time is supposed to give them - especially as these students may well be the ones who are most easily distracted by others too.

3. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

It's not just entering the Hall - the invigilator has to give a standard "spiel" (a bit like an aeroplane safety briefing) at the start of the exam, which would be very distracting. Also the candidates starting later would have to be kept in quarantine from the exam start time. Although there is no specific regulation against it, I have never heard of this being done for public examinations.
    I am a teacher/exams officer at an independent with many SEN candidates, so extra time is almost universal and certainly carries no stigma. In my experience only the most able candidates ever seem to use extra time effectively despite all our efforts, most finish within normal time. Exam times are generous for GCSEs, perhaps less so at A level.
    Seperate rooms is the best solution, although as mentioned above, can be logistically difficult and demanding on staffing.

4. That's useful, I'd forgotten the bit about the 'safety briefing'. Perhaps I shouldn't be so disheartened that most pupils don't use the extra time then. I thought that I hadn't prepared them well enough and it was only my pupils. It's still frustrating though.