1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam boards have around 2 months to standardise grades

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by captain2432, May 14, 2020.

1. captain2432

captain2432 New commenter

The timetable with the 2020 key dates was released a few days ago which showed how exam boards will have around two months for the standardisation of grades. Does anyone here understand why it will take so long?

15 May - Deadline for entries, amendments and withdrawals

The deadline to make all entries, amendments and withdrawals for this summer series is 15 May. We cannot accept any changes after this date and can only issue grades for students who have been entered.

1 to 12 June - Step 1: Schools submit centre assessment grades and rank orders

Schools and colleges should send us their centre assessment grades and rank orders (as well as grades for science practical endorsements and English spoken language endorsements) by 12 June.

From mid-June - Step 2: Exam boards standardise grades

To make the process fair for everyone, we’ll then use evidence such as prior attainment and national level grade distribution to standardise the centre assessment grades across all schools and colleges.

13 August - AS and A-level results day

Results day for AS and A-levels, as well as our AQA Baccalaureate, Level 3 Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), Level 3 Certificate and Functional Skills qualifications.

20 August - GCSE results day

Results day for GCSEs, as well as our AQA Certificate, ELC, FCSE, Projects, Technical Awards and PSE qualifications.

This can be found on the AQA website - https://www.aqa.org.uk/coronavirus/key-dates-for-summer-2020

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

It's about the same pace as standardisation in a normal year.

3. captain2432

captain2432 New commenter

Although this time exam boards don't actually have any of the student's work to look at. I just am struggling to see how this grade standardisation process is going to be fair to students. How can exam boards standardise grades for student's when they don't know the level of their work?

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It's a mess, but I can't think of a better solution.
    My guess is that the exam boards want to allow themselves enough time for unforeseen problems. I'm not sure how much they'll moderate grades.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

They have published quite a lot about it, as has Ofqual