1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam Boards For GCSE Business Studies

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by mball1969, May 23, 2011.

1. <font size="2" face="Arial">Which exam board for GCSE Business Studies is best please?</font><font size="2" face="Arial">We used to use Edexcel but have recently moved to AQA. We are finding in mock papers that AQA has very challanging grade boundary settings. Students appear to be gaining lower grades than we would expect. Any feedback please?</font>

2. when the new spec were released we moved from AQA to Edexcel
    We do AQA for A Level and therefore found the GCSE to much a like

please feel free to email me for more infor robsonbusiness@yahoo.co.uk

3. I am finding the same and thought it was just me. It is our first year on the new spec (didn't run last year) and I only did the old spec for one cohort in 2009. I have looked at lots of practice exam questions in class, how to answer them, look at the key words, work out what should be included, given them sample answers etc etc and then sat the class on a full mock in test conditions.
    Results were worse than expected such that I actually re-marked the whole set of papers (there were only 11). I got 4 around the C/D boundary where I would normally expect A/B, 2 on about 45% which doesn't even get them a G grade and 5 nowhere near (4 are EAL and 1 SEN) - I would at least expect them to grade, albeit low grades. They are all really stressed now with the module exam straight after half term and I am wondering what to do.
    I find it quite astonishing that they need around 28 to 30 marks (about 50%) to just get a G grade. What were results like last summer and in January for other people? I would really like some feedback from anyone who can help - I am the only BS teacher in my school, we don't do A level and my other local school don't do GCSE.
    Thanks in anticipation.

4. Can I ask what made you move from the Edexcel board, we are using that board, since the new 2009 GCSE and were previously AQA, although I am Subject Leader for Business I have evolved into this area from ICT so I am not familiar with what people think of the exams.

5. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

EdExcel is the one I prefer. The support is really good, you have a subject advisor, Colin Leith who is excellent and will respond to queries within 24 hours usually. The structure is good, Unit 1 which is mutiple choice and worth 25%, Unit 2 which is controlled assessment and a choice for Unit 3. You can look at a straight Business GCSE or Business Communications or an economic one which links nicely to Economics and Business at A level.
    I would say that the majority of people seem to do AQA but I don't know why, I did not like it. Everything comes down to personal preference

6. Hi Badgerbunny
    Thanks for your comments. I used the published grade boundaries for June 2010 out of 60 - 28G, 31F, 34E, 37D, 41C etc. Hence around 50% for F/G. They were even higher for the January 2011 paper. Maybe I am just being too harsh but after remarking and being more generous I still had half of the class not even grade. I will need to wait to see what happens in August. It still makes me think about changing board but then you hear other people criticise their boards too and is it better the devil you know??!
    This is our first year on this spec so I don't have any students doing unit 2 until next year.
    If you have time available to email I would really appreciate it. It is difficult knowing if you are doing things right when there are no other teachers to discuss things with. Please PM me if you can. Thanks a lot.