1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam board standardisation meetings?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by J.Veasey, May 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. J.Veasey

J.Veasey New commenter

Hello all!
    I'm marking GCSE exams this year and have a standardisation meeting in London this weekend. I've never been to one before so wondered if anyone can offer any tips - what do I need to take with me, what's the dress code, how awful are the provided lunches - the usual really!

Thanks!

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

A pen is useful, but they usually supply one anyway. Yes it is a good idea to wear clothes.

binaryhex likes this.
  3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Where's the venue? Normally all stationery is supplied.

If it's a hotel, the food may well be very nice, and plentiful!

Clothes are generally a good idea. Nearly everyone is casual.

binaryhex likes this.
  4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

You'll find a mixture of highly experienced people who all know one another from way back, some who have a year or three under their belt, and also plenty of newbies. You'll find some terribly formal presentation on behalf of Ofqual (which the old lags will ignore in the same way that many air passengers ignore the safety briefing) and lots of discussion about applying the mark scheme. Casual is fine: the Principal may dress marginally more formally.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I haven't marked for over 12 years, but in my day you were expected to have marked (in pencil) some scripts beforehand, and I used to take those with me so any points that emerge can be raised with the team leader. I'd also take copies of the paper (if you have it) and the mark scheme, though spares will certainly be available. Dress - certainly casual!

PS If you have been freed from a school day, there will be a form you need to get signed or similar so the school can claim supply to cover you. If it isn't a school day, you should get paid for attending...at least that's how it was in my day!

6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have not been to one of these for years but from what I remember, as @Skeoch said, the first bit is mainly waffle, while the good stuff comes later. Keep your ears open, as sometimes really important things are only mentioned in passing.

frangipani123 likes this.
  7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

All I ever remember from the OCR ones was being promised to 'answer your questions' but the reality was that the agendas were always so rushed with a predesigned set of targets to get through, very few of the questions were ever dealt with.

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

You should have a team leader, and it's part of their job at that time to answer your questions.
    You're lucky to have a "live" meeting.