1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exam board careers

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by l.chapman, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Im thinking of moving my career more towards the examination side of things. Does anyone know if it is possible to make a career out of marking/ moderating etc and if it's possible to make enough money doing this instead of teaching?

2. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

I doubt if you could make a reasonable income from simply marking / moderating.
    To give you an idea of income, last year I was an English GCSE moderator and marker for AQA. The Moderation sample arrived at the end of April / start of May and took about five weeks. There was a slight overlap with the arrival of the English exam scripts (c600) and these had to be marked by mid way through July - in previous years, I've got extra scripts from AQA which sometimes take us to the beginning of August. That means that I worked for AQA for about four months and I cleared about three and half grand.
    If you get marking in the winter too, you could probably make another grand, perhaps.
    To make a decent living solely from this , I think you would have to work for different exam boards and be very, very careful withthe deadlines. Possibly different levels of exam too?
    Having said that, I have worked with people who were not teaching and they could mark 1,000-1,200 scripts by the deadline - I think you would go bonkers after a while though.
    HTH