1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

exam anxiety- ideas to allieaviate it

Discussion in 'Education news' started by aypi, Nov 9, 2017.

1. aypi

aypi Occasional commenter

I was speaking to one of my pupils today, can do the work in class fine. As soon as he thinks the exam is important he goes to bits.
    6 out of 30 instead of the 25ish I was expecting in the last test that he thought was important.
    Have you any successful strategies, he sits his certificate exams this year.

2. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

http://theconversation.com/how-to-overcome-exam-anxiety-67445

Well done for spotting it in time to try to support him with the situation. Does your school have/have access to some sort of counsellor?

It is interesting to note that
    "Some students who experience high levels of anxiety (intense panic or fear about an exam that results in them being unable to do the test) can access additional support through special consideration at their school.
    This varies based on the individual needs of the student. But some students may need access to a separate room to complete exams, regular breaks during the exam or more time."

I'm not sure how early that you have to signal that this may be needed by a student in order to access it.

aypi and phlogiston like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Your school probably needs to be doing this now, you need to talk to your SENCO and exams officer.

Maybe you can try to find out what it is about the exams that causes the anxiety.
    As @galerider123 says, a separate room may help.
    Sometimes working in the exam room before the event can help. Maybe the youngster needs to downrate the significance of failure to ease the tension.

aypi likes this.