1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exactly how much did you eat/drink over Christmas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Well, after school festivities at the start of December, then my birthday and my party mid December Christmas presented even more opportunities to eat and drink to excess.
    Christmas week we had various friends over, then party on 23rd, Mum's 80th on 24th.....all accompanied by far too much champagne and wine.
    25th started with pink Bollinger, then chablis, pomerol and a fine dessert wine. Lunch was foie gras, smoked salmon, turkey and Christmas pud.
    Boxing day was cold cuts, bubble and squeak, far too much vino and a party in the evening with more champers.
    I now feel like a beached whale!
    I shall be strapping myself to that wagon and sticking a plaster over my mouth for the whole of January!

2. It's really not a good idea to analyse what you've eaten over the Festive Period. As soon as you go back to work you'll start eating normally again anyway. :)

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Very true. The choice is,eat and enjoy it or don't eat it.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Nothing to drink (unless you count tea) and very little to eat (unless you count toast)

5. BelleDuJour

Curiously.............and this is true............I have actually lost weight over the holidays. I did break up early (7th December) but in term time school provides us with biscuits ad lib, a 3 course meal every day and the Head bakes us a cake most weeks. I then have another meal at home. Will power is not good!
    Whilst I feel like a beached whale I don't exactly look like one, but I do feel bloated with so much rich food and booze.
    I am (almost) craving salad [​IMG]

6. Sounds like you have been poorly-if so, hope you are feeling better!

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My household's Xmas food consumption came back to haunt me in the form of a blocked drain. I spent Boxing day morning in thick rubber gloves juggling about 50 feet of foul-smelling drain rods, and swilling down my backed up inspection holes with a watering can.

Ho ho bloody ho.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I've eaten more than I usually would...but hey, it's Christmas!
    I'm not a huge meat-eater normally, and felt a little bloated after Boxing Day...we've had no meat today.
    I have enjoyed every mouthful of the extra food....and will now settle back down to my normal eating pattern.
    Whilst at Mum's I have not had one drop of alcohol.

9. I'll have to get back to you. I've not finished yet!

10. I recommend Worcester Sauce flavoured Pretzels. I really do.

11. BelleDuJour

Yummy!

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Interesting concept...
    I'm tucking into Cheese Footballs (takes me right back to Xmas in the 70s - very retro).
    BOGOF at Waitrose.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Usually, I'm not much of a foodie-just eat to keep the energy up but at the end of November I was put onto steroids for a medical condition. They are fab and have helped with another medical problem I've been suffering from for years. All good!!
    However, my normally OKish appetite has ballooned into vast proportions. Stuff I'd usually steer clear of has become the must have, must eat!! I've started to develop the moon face steroid look, although my wonderful husband has said I'm imagining it.
    I retired in July but have got a job for January on supply which will be for a few months. Thank goodness as I know the running round will, hopefully, eat up some of the extra calories. Here's hoping anyway. Please wish me luck!! [​IMG]

14. I have a dilemma in that people have dropped off eatables....in the form of shortbread fingers, Guylian sea-shells, Ferrero Rocher, a tin of Quality Street and today, daughter came bearing gifts....lots of little savoury pies made up from left-over turkey and ham! I was also given two boxes of surplus chicken wings by a chap we know who works at a butchers. I LOVE hot, crispy chicken wings...
    It'll all have to be eaten and Christmas has long gone.....!!! [​IMG]

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What happened to the twelve days of Christmas?

16. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Your school is just not like other schools is it? :)
    I've eaten tons over the past few days, but I figure that just sort of counteracts the ridiculous exercise programme and no-nice-foods diet I was on for most of December to make sure a certain white dress fit by Christmas Eve! The dress ended up being too big and having to be pinned, but not to worry, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and 2 days of 'honeymoon food' have sorted that out. My bloke is out on a jog as we speak (nutcase) and I'm enjoying a coffee and a biscuit...start as you mean to go on I say.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Congratulations Eva!
    Certainly haven't finished yet but didn't overbuy too drasticly. Weight up but not out of control. Won't finish eating "naughty food" till after NY and I'll deal with the consequesnces then. Thank goodness for loose jumpers.

18. BelleDuJour

No, it isn't. Which is why it's so lovely!
    Oh....and congrats on your wedding. How lovely to get married on Chistmas Eve. A few years ago a friend of mine got married on 23rd. The day was cold, with one of those thick, low mists and hoar frost. The church was lit entirely by candle light and it really was magical! I'm sure your day was just as lovely too x

19. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Nah! There's still plenty of Christmas left.
    I had to pop to the supermarket yesterday and overheard the people in front of me in the checkout saying how they'd had a lovely Christmas, but it was over so quickly. I did feel lucky (and a bit smug): Mr C doesn't go back to work until tomorrow, I'm back in school on Tuesday and Cariadlet is back on Wednesday.
    The tree and decorations are still up, the Christmas cake, mince pies and chocolates are still out on the sideboard. I didn't get up until way past 9 o'clock this morning, and have only just finished lunch. It is most definitely still Christmas in this house.

20. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

btw, the best way to avoid stressing about how much weight you've put on is to refuse to have any weighing scales in the house. Works for me! [​IMG]