1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Exact trig values for Higher level Gcse

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by waikatoriv, Dec 14, 2019.

1. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

hello
    Please can someone advise me. I’m private tutoring a Higher level student and apart from a AQA Spec document I have no other means of gleaning info apart from the internet.
    I am wondering whether I need to teach my student how to work out exact trig values in all the 4 quadrants eg sin 225, cos 330 etc etc. The AQA Spec just says up to 90 degrees. However Corbettmaths worksheets has questions on other quadrants.
    Thanks very much . Help greatly appreciated.

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think they should be able to work out the values for other quadrants from the graphs but aren't expected to remember them.

3. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

Hi
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of the method where you work out the angle to the horizontal and then using the ASTC anti-clockwise rule to decide whether it’s positive or negative depending on the quadrant. (Wasn't thinking of the graph at all ) . So would teach cos 210 = - cos 30 etc . But if it’s not in the syllabus don’t want to waste time on it. That’s my quandary .

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

No I don't think they are required to know that method, I've never taught it for GCSE.

5. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

Thanks very much Gainly. I was wondering if ,on the non-calc paper, they could ever get a question like: work out the exact value of tan 300? But I assume not so I won’t teach this Thanks Gainly

6. jmathsresources

jmathsresources New commenter

I've seen a couple of questions where the students have been asked to draw the graph first and then calculate certain exact trig values from -360 to 360. The students are expected to use the graphs to work these out and have been on the non calc papers (there was one question where they were given one value and were asked to work out others). I hope this helps.

7. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

Thanks very much jmaths. That's useful to know . Have decided to do it, in addition to graphs, as she is a bright student and it's not too tricky, and it may come up on non-calc paper or using sin rule for example if angle is obtuse.