1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex-teachers, what do you do now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by arl17, Apr 17, 2019.

1. arl17

arl17 New commenter

I’ve been teaching for a good few years now & I'm not sure if it’s my current school or if I’ve just had enough altogether but I’m really starting to wonder what else is out there. Any ex-teachers or anyone also in the same position; what do you do now & how did you find a new job/career? I just think it’s such a shame that so many are leaving the profession, but I can totally understand as I’m just so unsure if this is a job I want to do for my working life.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Learning what other escapees have done can be informative and even inspiring. As a starting point, think about what YOU would really like to do and take it from there.

3. vincewells

vincewells New commenter

Agree with Shedman, it’s important to recognise the aspects of teaching that you are not enjoying and make sure that you look for something else that suits you. It can be daunting to think about a change, and you probably don’t know where to start, but I found that spending a bit of time on self reflection first helped. I read a couple of books and focussed really clearly on what my strengths and interests were and then looked at careers linked to that. I then looked at what I’d need to do to make the transition and timelines that. By taking a college course 2 evenings a week and getting some weekend/holiday work experience, I was able to move to part time teaching / part time electrical work and then after a couple of years made the switch to full time sparky work. Changing in to another career proper is a long term commitment, so avoid just jumping to anything and try to really plan so you have a clear direction. Good luck.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Have a quick search or even just a skim down this board. There are several threads on this and career clinic that will give you a huge range of options.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I'm now a TA supporting a selected group of SEN children across KS2. I work in my own room, I can juggle my timetable to suit myself, I can arrive at 8.30 and leave at 3.45. My evenings and weekends are my own again. I don't have to worry about assemblies, parents' evenings, playground duties, after school training, staff meetings, etc. Yes, the salary is less than half of what I was earning this time last year, but I am doing the teaching that I enjoy without all the other carp that goes with it.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I run my own business offering private tuition, exam workshops and educational authoring services. I also run the admin and accounts side of our family construction business.

I left the classroom last Easter after doing this alongside a part time teaching job for about 18 months. I do occasional mormings only supply work as and when it suits me but I don't intend going back to a proper teaching job again.

Its not perfect and can still be stressful at times when dealing with difficult parents and working to book deadlines but it's 100 times better than what my teaching job had become.

dibbotson831 and agathamorse like this.
  7. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Great advice from @Shedman and @vincewells . It needs planning and it needs planning before your dissatisfaction reaches crisis point.