1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex teachers - what do you do Now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dauralora, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Sofia1239

Sofia1239 New commenter

Hi there,

I’m interested to learn more about how you made this move. Could you please message me? Thanks, Sofia

2. agcb256

agcb256 New commenter

Hi all,

As others have said here, I was getting to the point where I was struggling to see the point any more with more and more red tape every day, going above and beyond for very little recognition, having to convince students on a daily basis that it was worth putting the effort in in order to be successful in my subject (MFL) and constant changes in curricula and exam specs but, before throwing in the towel, I am taking the plunge and going International in September. I am hoping it will re-instil why I wanted to come into this profession and leave me to focus on doing what I am good at: planning, teaching and marking languages!

We shall see...but all in all, very excited and hopeful!

3. itsykitsycat

itsykitsycat New commenter

Hi
    I totally at a loss. So I have been teaching in Primary 8yrs now and have suffered anxiety and stress (work related and personal, but pressure of job mainly the pace, marking, assessments) and have decided after a tough 5 weeks of being signed off work to deal with my mental state, to hand my notice in - so I am now working my terms notice on phased return until July without a post for September. I'm at the point where I need a complete change but no idea where to start. Im completely lost as to what to do...work abroad, supply, change career ...what advice does anyone have out there. Im now close to being free of a mortgage for the first time in yrs, after an unexpected break up 2 yrs ago with finance so now living at home with parents aged 32..im having a mid-life crisis :"( help!

wrldtrvlr123 likes this.
  4. kstickley77

kstickley77 New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    Why shouldn't teachers be supported in a second career! It could make the prospect of teaching far more appealing!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. zencat999

zencat999 New commenter

6. Aussie1970

Aussie1970 New commenter

Hi there,
    Are you seriously happy wokring in Burma?
    I

7. After teaching for 9 years I decided to walk away. I became a real estate agent and it's the best decision I have made! I highly recommend you commit to making a change. Everything you want is on the other side of fear! Learn more here about becoming an agent if you are interested. If you want to know more reach out to me!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2018
  8. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

I left teaching after 8 years. Career progression was going well, but I just wasn't happy. I simply didn't enjoy it anymore and I needed a change. Life really is too short not to give something else a go if that's what you deserately want. I started off as a freelance writer when I first left and now I restore vintage manual typewriters for a living. Totally random but it's my own little business, it's doing really well, I wouldn't do anything else and I love it.

The one thing I didn't realise that I'd miss so much was my colleagues / working with people who became my friends. I still see them socially but working from home can be lonely and requires A LOT of will power. Pyjama days don't make for productive days. After three years out of the teaching game I have no regrets whatsoever.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have just retired from teaching, aged 59. One chap at my school in southern China carried on teaching until he was 68, so in theory I could have done another nine years! Yes, I do miss my students. Chinese children really are so sweet and hard working! I also miss my lovely Chinese assistant, who helped me a lot and made my job much more enjoyable. No, I do not miss boring staff meetings and there were far too many of them in my last two years of teaching.

10. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

If you still enjoy teaching but not the ridiculous ***** that goes with it in the UK (and are open to moving abroad) then you should seriously consider int'l school teaching. Many/most int'l schools seem to get by just fine without many/most of the onerous duties tacked on to the actual teaching of students. Yes, there may be other issues and there are high pressure environments, but with the world to choose from (potentially), you have a high likelihood of finding a situation where you could continue to teach and get a fresh start, personally, professionally and financially (many int'l school teachers will do quite well financially due to housing allowances and/or lower costs of living, etc.).

Check out the Teaching Overseas board on TES and the Int'l Schools Review forum. Hang in there and I hope you find another/better path than the one you are currently on.

11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Restoring vintage typewriters sounds fascinating to me. Can you still get the parts you need or do you need to salvage parts from scrap models? How did you get into it?

12. TBayram

TBayram New commenter

What does an engineering physicist do? That sounds fun!

13. kstickley77

kstickley77 New commenter

Hello, so sorry to hear of your situation, rest assured there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you have some fantastic skills from your time as a teacher. My advice to you is to find a new career that ignites your passion again, there is a company that help google Did Teach . com they have loads of jobs in companies that really value the skills that teachers have acquired. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you can focus on a positive future!

14. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

I have always been obsessed by typewriters. My grandad had loads and I've always tinkered with them. After I quit teaching I saw an old Smith Corona Calypso at auction, bought it, refurbished it and sold it on for a chunky profit. Three years later and it's a thriving little business that earns me my teacher wage and I ship them all over thw world. It wasn't always so fruitful though, and I had to rely on my freelance writing to prop up the typewriter thing.

Over the years I've read typewriter manuals from cover to cover, watched YouTube videos and how to guides and got stuck in. Now I can repair most faults and mainly salvage parts from models that can't be saved. I'm off to pick up a couple more typewriters that need rehomming later on today :)

15. elajf1

elajf1 New commenter

People ask me what I do for a job and I can honestly say I struggle to answer them. I actually don't really think I "work" anymore, I just do what I love.

I wasn't always like this, I felt exactly like many of the people on this thread, I've read it many times. Yes my reasons for leaving are probably much the same as most peoples on here. Ultimately it all boiled down to me being unhappy.

Some things I have realised/did on my journey:

1) A quick win for me and my mental health was to switch my mindset on work. I was a teacher and I was providing a service, my employers were the client. I know it sounds a bit weird and airy fairy, but it really helped me get perspective and realise I have control.

2) I quit thinking like a teacher giving career advice. By that I mean I stopped thinking about jobs and started thinking about my passions, my skills and what I was damn good at, what I enjoyed and what I excelled at.

3) I stopped looking at jobs pages, I started looking at employers I dreamed of working with. I found out who I needed to write to, researched about them and their business, I wrote carefully crafted letters to them personally and always finished the letter with something along the lines of "I look forward to meeting with you to discuss options" or words to that effect.

4) I kept my own council at work.

What happened?

I was invited in for a discussion at a company I really wanted to work for. There was a lot of to and fro meetings over a couple of months until I brokered a position. Initially there wasn't a position, but I managed to show them what I could bring to the business and improve their profits by reducing their costs. The salary was enough to allow me to continue to support my family, it wasn't initially but through the combination of me proving my worth and them wanting me, we came to an agreement.

I handed in my notice and worked my notice period.

I also started my own business (in a totally different area) but again following one of my passions. It is building up well and keeps me busy at weekends.

nearly two years on I now fully run the company underneath the MD and to be honest I treat it as my own just like my business at home.

The biggest differences I have noticed outside of teaching are:

1) Cashflow, turnover and profit are everything, departments don't have different targets that all contradict each other, everything is geared towards profit and efficiency.

2) When I'm set KPI's I'm trusted to get on with it and trusted I'll be open and honest about asking for support when needed. No constant monitoring.

3) I manage my hours, yes I have set hours per week but how/when I complete them is (to a degree) up to me. I generally wake early so last week I worked 5am-8am from home, had breakfast with my wife and son, went into the office until 2, then went home for some quality time. A stark difference to being given a PPA and being forced to be focussed right there and then.

4) I honestly don't consider it work, in fact, my son doesn't even say "Daddy are you off to work?" it is just life.

The things to consider:

If you think education is getting cut throat, it is nothing compared to industry. There is no hiding place for underperformance or mistakes. But if it is what you love doing then that isn't an issue.

If you think you can work 9-5 and then switch off entirely you are mistaken. Just like teaching, it isn't a 9-5 in industry. Maybe in a low level job but certainly not in anything in higher earning categories.

Do I miss the school holidays? No, but that is largely down to the fact that I don't feel like I am working for the weekend or next holiday now. I just do what I do and make the most of all the time I have. I wasted school holidays - or spent half of it working or ill anyway.

Ultimately I guess what I am trying to say is, it really is worth spending the time to find your passions and realise your skills, then you really can do almost anything. It is something teachers should be great at but I really think the vast majority of us are **** at it. Even if we think we aren't.

Jamvic, mordrid and agathamorse like this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Counsel???

17. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

I always come back on here to see the state of teaching since I left! Have no regrets what so ever! I was an assistant head! Got sick of all the constant moving of the goal posts and made myself ill in the process! Took a pay cut and I'm now a police officer! Never looked back!

agathamorse, frangipani123 and Jamvic like this.
  18. Progressnerd

Progressnerd Occasional commenter

I am seriously considering leaving teaching now. I am 5 years in and although I have had moments I have enjoyed the actual teaching part, the majority of my experience has been stress, anxiety and frustration. It's getting to a stage now where I am chalking off each week, living for the weekend then grinding out the next week. It's just not sustainable. I have trried 2 different schools now also.

My problem is I live alone in a good area so I would struggle if I took a pay drop. I also keep seeing jobs and they all say 'essential to have at least 1 years experience in so and so..' etc. How do I get around this? I went from studying my degree pretty much straight into teaching so although I have a lot of skills, I don't have any experience outside the profession.

travelwings likes this.
  19. BioEm

BioEm Occasional commenter

I’ve just finished my first week of my new non-teaching job at a local university and it was a real eye opener. Happy, positive workplace and being treated like I’m a trusted professional. Quite amazing after the time I’ve had teaching recently.

For those who haven’t seen my previous posts about leaving teaching, I went into the profession straight from uni and was a teacher for 16 years. I had some management and admin experience thanks to other responsibilities I had in my last teaching job but nothing else. It is possible to leave and get another job even if you have never done anything else, I’m proof!

I have taken quite a drop in pay but even in just a week in I feel like a different person. I’m sleeping better, have time to go for a run or just relax before going into work and don’t spend much of my time feeling anxious or fretting. I have a life and am not the grumpy, cynical Moo that I once was. It’s amazing really.

This isn’t to disparage teaching or teachers at all, it just was time for me to leave and it worked out for me. I’m in awe of those who can cope with all the demands placed on them in teaching these days.

Ultimately, if you want to leave there are jobs out there and it’s worth it.

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

It sounds like you're really enjoying the work. How does the saying go? If your job is your hobby you'll never work a day in your life? Good luck and let's hope there's enough typewriters and enthusiasts out there to keep you in business.

agathamorse likes this.