1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex teachers - what do you do Now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dauralora, Sep 14, 2017.

1. CAAC

CAAC New commenter

Oh my! That job sounds right up my street! Too far for me unfortunately as I’m in the NorthWest but will definitely keep my eyes peeled for something similar. Thanks so much Frangipani123

emmahowie1 and frangipani123 like this.
  2. daisydayz13

daisydayz13 New commenter

I'm sorry to read of your situation. I was signed off in September and knew within a day or two that I could not go back - EVER! I have finally managed to negotiate my exit and start a new non-teaching job at the end of this month. 9-5, Mo-Fr, 27 days annual leave and 8 Bank holidays as year. I'm a single parent too, and accept that I might have to sell our home and "downsize". Life is too, too short and teachers should not be made to feel the way we feel, and be expected to work ourselves into the ground. Best wishes in whatever choices you make.

3. daisydayz13

daisydayz13 New commenter

I'm starting my new job soon and I too have around a £8000 pay cut - but gaining a work life balance is everything to me. And I am sure my children will benefit too as I will have time to do things with them instead of sat at my dining room table most of the weekends/evenings.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

That has to be worth £8000 a year. You won't regret the time spent with your children when they're young and you'll benefit from it too. A day spent with mummy or daddy having fun is a big day in a little life and surely our children deserve those?

5. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

This is strange. I'm having a great time with plenty of leisure, doing 'bits' of teaching related jobs. I have realized just how much prep and admin I was doing at home in my own time. I'm not missing it.
    But I am beginning to miss the students......the nice ones, the ones that I had a laugh and joke with, the ones that tried hard, the ones with boy/girlfriend problems, the ones that were able to offer me advice about the latest iphone, the ones that played music and we all had a sing song on Friday afternoons, the ones that succeeded after years of failure, the ones that bought me a McDonalds or a coffee.
    I don't miss the troublemakers at all.

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I suppose it depends on the ratio of nice students to troublemakers.

henrypm0 likes this.
  7. alan1

alan1 New commenter

Hope to be an ex teacher soon. I'm training to become an embalmer, the best decision I think I have ever made regarding careers.

8. felicity5183

felicity5183 Occasional commenter

Good luck in it all, and enjoy the extra time with your children!

henrypm0 likes this.
  9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

You won’t regret it.

Despite having less holidays and money you will have more time for the important things in life. Better for your health as well.

henrypm0 and xxxBlueBellexxx like this.
  10. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

I left teaching once before and got suckered back in but I’m off again at Easter. The surprising thing for me is how much I worried about a lack of holidays before I jumped. It was only once I was in the office, drinking hot drinks when I wanted and going to the toilet at my leisure that I realised I wasn’t so completely exhausted every 6 weeks as to need a holiday.

I’m going into an LA position. Same pay, 30 days leave plus bank holiday plus I’ll take two weeks unpaid. Only leaves me 4 weeks down in school holidays anyway. I can’t wait.

11. sarah_o

sarah_o New commenter

Thank you all for this thread! I have wanted to teach since I was a child, but because I messed up my degree the first time round my life took a different direction for a while. I've spent the last 12 years getting my degree with the OU and raising a family with the intention of teaching at some point. I finally started teacher training (in FE) in October, and was so excited to be living my dream at last. Unfortunately, it's not so much a dream as a nightmare and although I'm determined to complete the course (PGDE Further Education and Skills) I have no intention of continuing my career in the classroom. I'm really angry that the system is so appalling that people like myself (on track to be graded 'outstanding' by the end of the course and hugely passionate about education) can become so disillusioned after just weeks in the role! I don't feel like I can make a difference and I'm already sick of teaching to the test and the endless paperwork.

I actually feel like there are a lot of career choices open to people with teaching experience, because we need such a vast skill set to do it well. I'm looking at several options at the moment - teaching English as a foreign language, tutoring, editing/publishing jobs, civil service, charity jobs, support roles in University or continuing with further study.

travelwings and PGat like this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck in your future career. Teaching has had all the excitement, challenge and most of all FUN driven from it in the relentless quest for ever better exam results, ever better league table positions and the sheer relentless grind of content heavy courses. I'm retiring after 30+ years in the classroom because I'm totally disillusioned with what teaching has now become.

13. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I'm leaving teaching. Planning on a new career as a walk on girl in darts championships.

#strangesenseofhumour

14. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I tell people whether their houses about about to fall down a hole. It is amazing.

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  15. sniven1000

sniven1000 New commenter

It was really interesting to read this.
    I am currently off work as a primary teacher with depression & anxiety. I’ve worked for 18 years but feel it’s gettibg worse & worse. The job I unmanageable. I hardly see my son & my husband & no matter how much I work it’s not enough or not good enough. I feel like a complete failure. I think it’s time to get out! I’m inspired by all these posts so thank you.
    Hopefully I can find an alternative life!

16. Cleod

Cleod New commenter

Agree with above! Really interesting and reassuring to read this and thank you for the honesty :)
    Never saw myself staying in secondary teaching long-term. Teaching now six years and in lots of different schools and locations. Tried to apply for other jobs and within other parts of education last year...learning support..TA at university. Even went back to study for a masters. Found it difficult to get work in different sectors outside of teaching. Really wanting to move abroad too. Supply teaching this year. Gives me more time to think and in a good school but it gets me down.
    Saying that, I learnt a lot but would anyone have advice on how to changes careers from teaching and get the job you really want? How long did it really take?
    Also with six years experience in so many different schools. Is it enough to make a judgement about teaching rather than teaching in the same school for five years? Longest I was in a school was two years. Worked in some brilliant schools...but feel there is something else I am better suited too...

17. Cleod

Cleod New commenter

Take care of yourself first :) school-life will go on and spend your time with your husband and son..put your needs before students. 18 years sounds so successful to me..will look great for other job applications..maybe just time for a change :)

naomifree likes this.
  18. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

19. alan1

alan1 New commenter

I agree about international teaching. I had 10 years abroad and I never regretted any of it, mostly keen, polite, hard working pupils who were a delight to teach. It is only since coming back to the UK in 2012 and doing 5 years of supply that it finally decided me to to do something different. As I said in an earlier post I'm training to become an embalmer and should be qualified this year. I am so looking forward to getting out!

20. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

nearly 11 years abroad and i am NEVER returning. i am treated like a professional, teach lovely children in well resourced, well equipped schools, and paid a hell of a lot better than a teacher in the UK.

my only regret is not leaving sooner.

Happyregardless, agcb256 and tonymars like this.