1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex teachers - what do you do Now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dauralora, Sep 14, 2017.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

No way! Weblink?

2. geordiepetal

geordiepetal New commenter

All I wanted to do as a child was to be a teacher. I finally found the confidence to retrain as a secondary teacher in 2013, having spent 10 years in various corporate jobs, latterly using my languages. As of August this year I have returned to such a role. Whether you have a language or not, employers need people who are organised, can communicate well, are punctual and reliable, can work well independently and as part of a team all attributes that a good teacher would have! Also you have experience of delivering to groups, planning, problem solving...The list goes on.
    My only regret is that I didn't get out sooner, the job made me ill in the end, the poor behaviour , the endless marking that none of the kids ever looked at...I worried for so long what my family and friends would think if I quit...please don't. They are just happy because I'm now feeling happier!
    If you are thinking of trying for something new please please go for it. You can always go back to teaching if you find that the career change was not for you. I know it is a pain with the long notice periods that teaching has but if you start looking around June you could make the change come July / Aug / Sept of that year. The pay cut was worth it for the evenings and weekend free from anxiety, and I'm hoping to make up some of the shortfall in bonuses once I'm up and running properly in the new job,
    All the very best to anyone thinking of getting out.

3. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

thekillers likes this.
  4. rachelfay

rachelfay New commenter

I left teaching around 3 years ago now!
    Once I had my little boy I just knew I wasn’t going to be able to work as flexible as I wanted and he was my priority.
    So i used my passion of teaching to start my own business teaching babies & toddlers how to mark make and learn through messy play! Now I’ve actually franchised the business and take on lots of ex-teachers around the UK!
    We’re a multi award winning company now. I totally love what I do!
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

I left in April and training as a general practice surveyor for a commercial property company. I took a paycut but not a massive one due to only having been an RQT when I had quit.

The best thing I love about my job is it stays at work. I don't need to work weekends and i'm not anxious on a Sunday thinking "oh sh*t!! What work do I need to get done today". Now my weekends are totally stress free and I can totally relax on my holidays. One thing I miss more than anything is the holidays. That was probably the only reason I even taught for that long in the first place. Having a decent amount of holidays was good. The upside is when I book a week off I don't have to think about squeezing some work in my holidays. Now I can slob around and eat ice cream for a week without caring.

I don't regret leaving. It might be worth sending an email with a series of questions and a CV to some companies asking them what their company is like and what it is like to work for them etc. I had sent out around 50-100 emails to different companies asking them a series of questions which helped land me my current job.

6. dancespin

dancespin New commenter

I went the other way from Chartered Surveyor to teacher after 15 years as a investment surveyor. Have been teaching 18 years and am about to retire. Always said to my teaching colleagues that surveying was easy compared to the classroom. I am about to retire as, although I still love the teaching, the relentless changes are grinding me down and to be frank I am knackered! I have been reading this stream and thinking - career number 3 is in order - part time of course.

MissSci, missteach2005 and eljefeb90 like this.
  7. hopetoteach10

hopetoteach10 New commenter

Salary? How much do they pay and is it a permanent job or casual/part-time during term time only. Do you need an enhanced DBS to work with university students?

8. pineapple123

pineapple123 New commenter

Hello
    I am in a similar position. After ten years of teaching history I am fed up with having to teach other subjects as well as the other aspects of teaching with the school being able to break my contract! My working life is not getting better and I have never found a work/life balance. Is there anywhere that we can go to show our experiences and be helped to find a job that enables us to enjoy life? I have worked many years before becoming a teacher in other professions and I have experience in other matters such as legal. My problem is I have always and still am the only wage earner in the home and therefore loss of earnings is tricky.

Thank you
    Michelle

thekillers likes this.
  9. PGat

PGat New commenter

I retired through ill health in 2014 and now work part-time.
    I have couple of roles working for an exam board but also work freelance supplying planning advice to conveyancing solicitors. During the summer I also mark exam papers but plan to stop next year.
    I have achieved financial parity but more importantly am able to work only when my health dictates. I am so glad I left teaching but happily attend social events held my previous schools.
    I regularly keep in touch with dept. colleagues -none of whom seem happy to remain in teaching.

Shedman likes this.
  10. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

You need to look at university websites and/or jobs.ac.uk. If you want to teach EAP (English for Academic Purposes) you will need the relevant qualifications, quite often you need a DBS as there are Foundation students under 18. Most commonly people enter via pre-sessionals which take place over the summer, usually 6-10 weeks in duration. From there you can apply for permanent posts and the pay varies from c£28-40,000. It is quite competitive to get these posts and you often start on a contract basis.

There are other roles in universities such as Study Skills tutors. It tends to depend on the university as to whether it is term-time only pay, it's more common now for jobs to be year round.

11. xxxBlueBellexxx

xxxBlueBellexxx New commenter

It has been so inspiring to read about the new career paths of other former teachers around the UK. It gives me a sense of vicarious triumph.

My own leaving story began 2.5 years ago, when I also took a leap out of the profession with no idea of what I wanted to do next. I had endured around 18-24 months of being bullied by my new headteacher. For instance, I was terrified of logging into my email account just in case there was yet another spiteful message from her. I used to have to take several deep breaths before logging in, and would read her emails with my eyes half closed, and with my hand to my face looking at the screen from between my fingers. I had to leave the school before I had a breakdown... it was definitely on its way.

After leaving my permenant post I signed up to 3 agencies and did 6 months of supply teaching. During this stint I mulled over all career change options available. I considered everything and anything. In the end I decided to take the plunge and buy into a franchise business. So now, I work for myself (home office set-up, completely flexible hours), whilst having the advice and protection of an established company. I have great new franchise colleagues across the UK, a franchise director who regularly tells me how much she respects my business practice, views and work ethic, and I am now coming close to exceeding my fulltime UPS3 teaching income but on part-time hours (24 hours per week on average). My family and I get a LOT of fabulous perks off the back of the business - giving us opportunities to do things we'd never have would have dreamed of otherwise.

A lot of great advice for alternative career pathways has already been given by previous posters. However, I'd like to raise the possibilities buying into a franchise business could offer. You can purchase some businesses for a few hundred pounds and upwards. Many of the franchises offer training to new franchisees as part of the purchase price. There's all kinds of franchise businesses available to buy into such as:
    - baby-toddler art, music, signing, exercise classes
    - coffee shop management
    - pet care
    - car valeting
    - cleaning company management
    - book-keeping
    - adult art/photography classes
    - tutoring
    ... to name just a few.
    Personally, I bought a publishing/editing franchise and I absolutely love it. It was a huge punt to go for it using my, and my husband's, savings. Thankfully it is paying off very well. It was hard for the first few months. We had to watch every penny we spent. We streamlined our outgoings severly. Second-hand uniforms for the kids, buying cheapo-brand groceries, and not spending on anything that wasn't totally essential. It certainly sharpened the focus somewhat!

I'd say to anyone else looking for a way out of teaching to ask an absolute shedload of questions to anyone vaguely relevant, and do loads of reading/homework. Also you need to be realistic with the fact that the journey may not be an easy one, with sacrifices to make in the short-term. It's fairly unusual for anyone to jump from one professional job straight into another without a short term paycut. You need to decide if you feel you're getting enough out of teaching to carry on with it because the jump out if the profession will not be easy, and will have some scarey moments.

[This section has been deleted for breaching our Community Terms & Conditions.]

Best of luck, and enjoy the journey out of teaching.

MissSci, cazzmusic1 and Shedman like this.
  12. tardis

tardis New commenter

I have sent you private conversation as I'm interested in this please respond

travelwings likes this.
  13. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Anyone wishing to become a solicitor/barrister just needs to take a law conversion course - unless you happen to have a law degree. One year course, a similar cost to PGCE. Then 3 years training in a law practice - for which you are paid. If I was younger this is what I would be looking to do. I trained as a teacher as a mature student and wish that I had taken the law conversion course instead of the PGCE.
    Of course, I have never visited a lawyers' chat room to find out what all their problems are. Perhaps they have as much stress and angst as teachers. They certainly seem to work at a leisurely pace :D:D

travelwings and xxxBlueBellexxx like this.
  14. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

Responded :)

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Brilliant post outlining a viable escape route from teaching. New start ups are pretty scary so good research and a clear plan will help immensely but as I always say to teachers who are considering leaving the profession, If you work half as hard and give of yourself just half as much as you do in teaching, your future employer will soon realise what an asset they have acquired.

xxxBlueBellexxx likes this.
  16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

A one-year law conversion course (GDL) AND then either a one-year post-graduate LPC or BPTC, before securing either a highly-competitive training contract or pupillage. The BPTC, particularly, is very expensive, with fees anywhere between £15,000 and £20,000. The combined cost of GDL + LPC or BPTC is very expensive, with no guarantee of securing a training contract or pupillage afterwards.

agathamorse and wanet like this.
  17. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Just to hi-jack the thread for a moment - GL'sGhost, it's good to see you back. I hope you are well?

BelleDuJour likes this.
  18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Several of my Law A level students have got jobs as para-legal trainees. The firm has then funded their training as solicitors. A book club pal runs a baby fun class as a franchise. Another started a blog about food and travel which is now making money as well as free travel and food.

19. xxxBlueBellexxx

xxxBlueBellexxx New commenter

Thanks for your kind words @Shedman. And your comments about impressing future employers are 100% spot on. I'd never have believed it after being repeatedly lambasted by my headteacher despite giving my best efforts over the months and years. It was a huge surprise to come out of that situation, and find from day one on supply, and then eventually working for myself, to discover that actually I wasn't worthless.

20. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

I left teaching after three years in secondary school English including three months on leave with depression. I'm a teaching assistant in a different school now. I make peanuts--took more than a 50% pay cut--but oh, it's wonderful. I get to build meaningful, positive relationships with vulnerable kids, I get to focus on their emotional wellbeing instead of their test scores, I'm not hounded for student progress or not being "strict" enough, I don't have to wrangle thirty justifiably bored and angry teens through a poorly designed and elitist curriculum... I'm doing what I want and what I'm good at. And I'm appreciated for doing it well.

I also have time to do some tutoring on the side, and some proofreading for a website that caters to students. Proofreading is fun because I get to indulge that "Oh, just give it to me, I'll fix it!" impulse.