1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex teachers - what do you do Now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dauralora, Sep 14, 2017.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

@Moony

Well done! Fingers crossed for you.

Moony likes this.
  2. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

initially started out as self employed, felt it wasn't for me so joined the police! Never looked back!

3. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

Same here, if you have a lightbulb moment; please share it

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I've been working on upskilling my science quals through the OU. I've no idea what your degree is in but you can get student finance on a second degree if it's in certain named STEM subjects as well as being able to get a postgraduate student loan of upto £10k to cover fees and living costs, or a contribution depending on how you split it, for doing a masters degree if you do not already have one. And your PGCE doesn't stop you from getting that. Now I don't know which of those float your boats but you can upskilling in one way or another as an exit route out.

5. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I'd like to be a physiotherapist. Sadly, I don't think the NHS fund these anymore. Not sure about the student finance bit at all.

6. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

Look at jobs actually advertised - www.indeed.co.uk. was mentioned in another forum. l was looking at exam invigilation, I had my eyes opened. Some pay not good but it might help you make the leap just applying and seeing what the interest is.

7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I'll help out in any way I can. Not entirely sure how exactly I'd do that, but all suggestions most welcome.

8. dauralora

dauralora New commenter

As a police officer? How did you go about That? Would love to know the details!

9. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

The Met are recruiting detectives who don't have to have prior police experience

10. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

Go onto your local Force website or any neighbouring forces and see when they are recruiting!

Have taken a 50% pay cut but since coming out of teaching have realised money isn't everything! And after a few years will soon be back up to decent levels! Feel like a student again!

Suzie5566 likes this.
  11. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Just cross everything for me!

12. hellohiccup

hellohiccup New commenter

Hi

I've left teaching for about a year now and am so happy compared to before. I was a primary teacher but with a degree in Biology so have been working in a laboratory. It pays significantly less but I have a lot more free time.

I recently had interviews to work as an education officer in a zoo which would be my dream job so that sort of thing is another option. I've done volunteering too to help with my applications.

:)

geordiepetal and Suzie5566 like this.
  13. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Latterly I spent several years teaching Academic Skills to international students in a university. There's more and more emphasis on supporting both local and internationals students, so many universities employ Academic Writing tutors, Study Skills tutors quite often based in the library or possibly a dedicated centre. You help students to manage their time, take notes, write essays free of plagiarism etc. Critical thinking skills are also important. There are also lots of admin type jobs where graduates are employed and once you get in you can move around into different roles. The website jobs.ac.uk is good to register with and they will send you daily alerts. Universities typically have c 40 days leave including Bank holidays. You do need experience and a minimum of a CELTA, preferably a DELTA , to teach international students, but there are many other possibilities.

If you trawl through the threads here you will find good advice given to others who have been in your situation.

14. a1autotransport

a1autotransport New commenter

I am currently working to a BPO company

15. SKO143

SKO143 New commenter

I left teaching in 2011 after 15 years. I moved schools and HOF was a witch with totally unreasonable expectations of me. I now realise I was bullied. I walked out just before half-term and was signed off with WRS.

I resigned at half-term and was released from my contract to finish at Christmas.

I started work for a leading exam board as Qualifications Manager (PT, 3 days a week) in the January. Took a significant pay cut but it was totally transformational in terms of work life balance. Worked there for 5 years, FT after 2 years and developed new specifications for A level and GCSE in the recent reforms.

Have now been a Civil Servant in an education related non-ministerial department for almost a year as a Senior Manager and LOVE it. Earning more money, still making a difference and I leave the work at the office.

Would never consider going back to teaching but appreciate the work teachers do more and more - it is a HARD job, even more so now than when I left.

16. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

I walk the dogs, mow the grass, plant plants, paint the house, attend family and friends’ social events, go to U3A, have coffee and cake while reading The Australian (not my politics but still the best newspaper in the country) and keep the promise I made in my farewell speech 10 years ago: “ I will redouble my efforts in the Labor Party and the public arena to rebuild our education system after the years of idiocy that it has gone through”. I do the last by commenting on websites, writing letters to the editor, emailing journalists, making submission to parliamentary and other enquiries, meeting MPs and senators and arguing for better policy in whatever forum I can. Nor is this last activity pointless. I have had losses, but I have had wins too, and we have a government in Victoria now that is very good on education. It’s very good because a lot of people did not confine their activities to complaining on blogs. The joined the Labor Party and they worked on education policy, and they spent years at it. Anyway, I must do a few things before my morning coffee and cake and newspaper-reading at our wonderful local café. Perhaps the retired teachers of England could join a party there and work on education policy. You’ll still have time for the garden, the dogs, the coffee and cake and even the family, I assure you.

mllemaki and cazzmusic1 like this.
  17. Noteasyprofession

Noteasyprofession New commenter

You must take care of yourself- school will stand no matter what and supplies brought in. See a doctor for stress, call the Samaritans and take some time out for yourself. There is tonnes in the world you can do or you may feel excited about teaching once again. It is so important to get some life back- take a few weeks off for stress and get some real help. Colleagues have suggested working abroad which could be good- if you can afford it take some time out.

I have come into teaching after years of industry and ngo work- gosh both were amazing. Am surprised what is involved in teaching. A friend of mine was a teacher for years and joined the police force. Now three years later he misses teaching! Worth exploring a different career and then teaching may be for you again.

Good luck!

geordiepetal and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  18. Noteasyprofession

Noteasyprofession New commenter

[What an amazing reply! How fabulous the levels of proactive reform you have been involved in- in addition to having coffee and walking dogs!! Teachers in UK are being very poor in pushing back at a system that is just snowing under good teachers. Thanks for this !!

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  19. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Noteasyprofession,

Thank you. It’s not that hard. It just takes a bit of time and energy. There must be some teachers and ex-teachers in England prepared to make the time and produce the energy. There is no fairy godmother. No one else is going to fix things. Every bad idea happened because someone made it happen, and every good idea happened because someone made it happen.

20. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I set up a small CPD company just for maths. Still miss the classroom though - don't take the decision lightly. (I'm sure you aren't)

MissSci likes this.