1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex teachers - what do you do Now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dauralora, Sep 14, 2017.

1. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy New commenter

I left secondary teaching to go into FE. I am still shocked at how much better it is. I get treated as an adult, professional colleague. In schools I was treated like a semi criminal illiterate layabout.

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I keep trying and look for jobs every day ( not in teaching ) Nothing much is coming up and I am now considering cleaning or care as there are so many of these jobs advertised. I don't mind a cleaning job. It would keep me fit and I could think of it as exercise that I would be getting paid for but I must admit it's demoralising when I've worked hard to get a degree and was a teacher for 20+ years. I used to be a cleaner whilst I was doing my teacher training so I suppose I can do it again. It's not beneath me, I'm not a snob, it's just that I feel I worked so hard and what was it all for? A care job would be more interesting than cleaning but the thought of doing personal care puts me off. I have a weak stomach and cleaning someone up would make me retch which would be unprofessional and embarrassing. Ive applied to work in pets at home, a call centre and a cafe and didn't even get interviews. I think the fact that I did O levels rather than GCSEs reveals my age and goes against me. It's really not as easy as I thought it would be. I live fairly rural and the thought of a long commute for a minimum wage job is off putting.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You don't have to work in a specific school to put your teaching skills to good use. You can work for schools on a self-employed basis, but obviously you have to be prepared to travel to them.

http://school-workshops.com/

If you're not keen on travel but want to be your own boss, consider some form of online selling, whether it be things you've made yourself, things you've bought wholesale, or old stuff that has collectable value. As long as you have a source of goods, the internet and access to a Post Office or courier pick up service you're sorted.

4. bella61187

bella61187 New commenter

Can I ask where you work? This is something I’d like to do and is a sort of hobby at the moment with weekend and holiday work