1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ex teachers - what do you do Now?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dauralora, Sep 14, 2017.

1. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

I left secondary teaching to go into FE. I am still shocked at how much better it is. I get treated as an adult, professional colleague. In schools I was treated like a semi criminal illiterate layabout.

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I keep trying and look for jobs every day ( not in teaching ) Nothing much is coming up and I am now considering cleaning or care as there are so many of these jobs advertised. I don't mind a cleaning job. It would keep me fit and I could think of it as exercise that I would be getting paid for but I must admit it's demoralising when I've worked hard to get a degree and was a teacher for 20+ years. I used to be a cleaner whilst I was doing my teacher training so I suppose I can do it again. It's not beneath me, I'm not a snob, it's just that I feel I worked so hard and what was it all for? A care job would be more interesting than cleaning but the thought of doing personal care puts me off. I have a weak stomach and cleaning someone up would make me retch which would be unprofessional and embarrassing. Ive applied to work in pets at home, a call centre and a cafe and didn't even get interviews. I think the fact that I did O levels rather than GCSEs reveals my age and goes against me. It's really not as easy as I thought it would be. I live fairly rural and the thought of a long commute for a minimum wage job is off putting.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You don't have to work in a specific school to put your teaching skills to good use. You can work for schools on a self-employed basis, but obviously you have to be prepared to travel to them.

http://school-workshops.com/

If you're not keen on travel but want to be your own boss, consider some form of online selling, whether it be things you've made yourself, things you've bought wholesale, or old stuff that has collectable value. As long as you have a source of goods, the internet and access to a Post Office or courier pick up service you're sorted.

4. bella61187

bella61187 New commenter

Can I ask where you work? This is something I’d like to do and is a sort of hobby at the moment with weekend and holiday work

5. leannemcguire1996

leannemcguire1996 New commenter

I've been in training and teaching since I was 18 - I'm 24 now and embarking on a masters in psychology whilst doing supply teaching - i will warn you though, supply can be very inconsistent and there are lots of quiet periods around half terms. It's for this reason I'm actually going into Customer service/marking with a company who deliver qualifications, whilst studying.
    Go study what you like! :)

Amazonaddict likes this.
  6. Googler

Googler New commenter

‘Use a doctor for stress leave if you need to. A long paid break for a few months can help clear the fog.[/QUOTE]’

If a teacher did try and choose this route above, is it really doable? Academies have much sharper absence policies than Local Authorities;
    A written warning is issued to staff who have 3 absences in 6 months or 4 absences or 10 days in 12 months regardless of the illness or surgery.

After a 4 week absence this could lead to a final written warning and a dismissal.

Each academy should have a policy on Sickness, which spells this out.

7. Aisha633

Aisha633 New commenter

8. Aisha633

Aisha633 New commenter

yes these forums are really supportive to teachers like us from the other side of the world too..thanks

9. Aisha633

Aisha633 New commenter

perfect! well planned..i like this!

10. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

I think it is so important to know what it is you want to do. I stuck with teaching until I had a clearer idea, although I did switch to day-to-day supply. During that time, I did apply and had an interview at a startup who were actually looking for ex-teacher (it dealt with mortgages and real estate), but they hired before my interview. So I decided to try a few different free courses on EdX and fell in love with programming. After a long discussion with my OH, we decided I'd quit teaching all together and focus on retraining. I did this at home using online courses, free and cheap ones. A friend needed a website and I built her one using WordPress and that helped me to land my current job as a web developer. It was a big pay cut, but still £25k and I know the ceiling is much higher. My job is at a small agency of me and the owner. I manage the help desk and get to developer plugins and page templates for clients. Learning loads.

If you read this today, have a look at Udacity (there are non-programing courses). They are currently offering 1 month free, but is ends today (31 March). Best of luck to all looking to leave. This definitely isn't an easy time.

Shedman likes this.
  11. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Good point. Some businesses have gone, others going from strength to strength.

Would I be right to say that IT is a good place now, as a lot of work moves online, or is that an ill-informed assumption?

12. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

It depends. I know junior developers who have been made redundant (although the company can rehire them and claim the 80% government funding). It really depends on the company you work for and what you do. In my case, we provide an intranet for many government agencies, so our business is solid. Support is paid quarterly and many are in greater need of it now. There are still a lot of jobs being advertised, especially for those with experience. Again, it comes down to the service p

13. kstickley77

kstickley77 New commenter

Interesting to hear all your stories, don't forget there is a website run by teachers for teachers helping them change careers but still make a difference didteach.com worth a look for ideas. They also have a blog where teachers can share their stories. :)